Victoria Mixon's Reviews > Steve Bentley's Calypso Caper

Steve Bentley's Calypso Caper by Robert Dietrich

Jun 26, 2010

Read on June 26, 2010

Who wouldn't love a 1961 dime novel called Calypso Caper? With the tackiest ever Caribbean Sophia Loren on the cover and, just for once, the signature pulp rag naked body belonging to a man?

That's why I picked it up. But that's not why I loved it. I've studied a lot of the great mystery writers, and I've wondered time and again how Chandler did everything everyone else did AND in that sensual, gloomy, magical atmosphere of his.

Frankly, I still don't know. But I know Dietrich did. Only instead of 1930s LA, he did it in 1961 Virgin Islands, where the heat is heavy and the flies are bad and you could lose years of your life to the wicked Caribbean rum without even knowing it.

In a rattly little Volkswagen bug, no less.

This one's so worth it you can't imagine.

Update: AAAAGHGHGHGHGGH!!!! I just looked the guy up. You would NEVER BELIEVE who he was! E. Howard Hunt, the notorious director of the Watergate burglary who served prison time along with G. Gordon Liddy and who confessed on his deathbed in 2005 the details of the CIA conspiracy that ended in the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

This amazing detective pulp paperback was written by Satan!

You can probably hear my brain popping & sizzling & flinging sparks from here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steve Bentley's Calypso Caper.