Clarissa Draper's Reviews > Old Friends and New Fancies: An Imaginary Sequel to the Novels of Jane Austen

Old Friends and New Fancies by Sybil G. Brinton

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: other-literature

Genre: Jane Austen Sequel
How I read it: I own the book.

What attracted me to the book: First of all the cover and then I found out the book was written in 1913 and thought that fact was unique.
Who should read this book: Anyone who loves reading Austen sequels may find this take interesting.

Summary (From Amazon): The first Jane Austen sequel ever written!

Originally published in 1914, this charming and original sequel to the novels of Jane Austen intertwines the lives of the most beloved characters from all six Austen novels with new characters of the author's devising. Inventive matchmaking leads numerous pairs of lovers through the inevitable (and entertaining) difficulties they must encounter before they are united in the end.

Old Friends and New Fancies is a gratifying read for any Jane Austen enthusiast.

"This is the ultimate Jane Austen sequel....Virtually all the characters left standing at the end of the novels-most particularly the unmarried ones-must all meet up... Broken engagements will follow, a few false trails and threatened unacceptable matches must be endured before the Forces of Good prevail." -Charles Wenz, Life Member of the Jane Austen Society

My opinion: I have to say, she did try really hard. And being the first, she didn't have other books to compare hers with but the fact is, I didn't like it. I hate to be harsh but that's the fact.

Why didn't I like it? Other than the great number of typos (which perhaps is due to a bad editing in a old publishing industry), it was the plot. Too much going on. Pride and prejudice had a lot of characters and so did her other books so when she took (many) characters from all six of her novels, I found myself confused.

Also, some of the characters, especially my favorites like Anne Wentworth and Elinor Ferrars, did not resemble how I pictured them from the original. That disappointed me. This book was the first sequel I've ever read because I was afraid the sequel would ruin the original. I wouldn't say this book did that. Why? I found that nothing really happened in the book to ruin it. Actually, nothing much happened.

I really wanted to love this book, I really did. But, frankly, it was too dull.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Old Friends and New Fancies.