Julia's Reviews > Chicks Dig Time Lords: A Celebration of Doctor Who by the Women Who Love It

Chicks Dig Time Lords by Lynne M. Thomas

Aug 08, 2010

bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, doctor-who-torchwood
Read from August 07 to 08, 2010

Twenty-seven essays and interviews by female fans of “Doctor Who” who may also be the actresses who played his Companions, who do costumes for fan conventions, who write “Doctor Who” novels, who are academics writing about sexism and gender, who are science fiction and fantasy writers, are moms. John Barrowman (he plays “Torchwood”’s Captain Jack, which started out on “Doctor Who”)’s sister Carole, who is an academic, both are Who-vians, and she helped him write his autobiography, writes one of the funnest of the essays called “Time is Relative.” Elizabeth Bear writes in “We’ll Make Great Pets,”

“I understand why the Doctor likes human beings—ridiculous tail-less monkeys that we are—so much. Because when we are our best selves, we’re very much like him: ingenious, adventurous, lucky, energetic, damn-the-torpedoes, humane. And aspiring to be more.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chicks Dig Time Lords.