Mariel's Reviews > Not Quite a Husband

Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas

Sep 06, 10

5 likes · like

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Quite a Husband.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katyana Great review! I am glad that you liked it - I thought it was fun. I don't know if they'll make it either, but I feel like they know each other now. They know what they are getting into. That gives them such a much better chance.

Mariel Katyana wrote: "Great review! I am glad that you liked it - I thought it was fun. I don't know if they'll make it either, but I feel like they know each other now. They know what they are getting into. That gi..."

I agree. It can't possibly be as sad as what already happened to them. That was a good mesage, I think. I've only one Sherry Thomas book left to read (Private Arrangements). :(

Katyana This is the only Sherry Thomas I have read. I will definitely check out more, though.

Catherine Great review! This is the Sherry Thomas book that I have connected to the best. The other ones weren't really my style. But I agree with you, I could really relate and understand a lot of what motivated this character. I am a much more internal person than most of the romance heroines running around out there. It was really nice to see one like this.

Wicked Incognito Now I know a lot of people hated this heroine because she seems cold. But I also related to her quite well.

I completely understand why she didn't say anything when she saw what she saw. She was trying to just get over and move on, but she never was able to!! I probably would've done the same thing. As a matter of fact, I've had friends before that did things that really bothered me. I would just deal with it and deal with it, not wanting to have a big dramatic confrontation. And then one day I just tell the friend that we can't be friends anymore because she drives me crazy.

Now, I KNOW most people would say that it would be better to discuss my problem with my friend than to internalize it and then eventually give up on the friendship. But there are some things that no amount of discussion will solve (like super annoying character traits and lifestyle choices). So you are left with the choice of either getting over it or moving on. First I try getting over it, if I can't get over it--I move on.

That's what Byrony did. It might not be the best option, but I completely understand it.

Catherine Me too, April. I have the exact same habit you do. I do not like arguments or scenes, so I'd rather deal with a problem on my own when I know bringing it up won't really solve anything. But my internalizing only goes so far until I either cut the cord or I figure out a way to fix the issue.

Mariel Me as well! I consider myself quite able to cut the cord and move on. I've only ever had fights with my sisters, with anyone else I'd sooner just not talk to them anymore rather than make a big scene.

Wicked Incognito Now I'm so glad I'm not the only one that does this! Everyone always says "I'd rather you tell me if you have a problem with me." But that's not true! No one wants to hear unflattering things about themselves. And I've found it doesn't solve issues to bring those things up. People just hold onto the their angry feelings and really never let it go. So it's better to just not say anything. Unless, like you all said, it gets to be too too much. Then it's "buh-bye."

message 9: by Catherine (last edited Nov 01, 2011 07:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Agreed. The only one I consistently make an effort with is my husband. But it's not personality quirks, it's just actions. If we don't discuss those, how will we ever know we're irritating each other? Besides, he's just the exception to the rule. Everyone else isn't worth the scene.

message 10: by new_user (last edited Sep 07, 2010 12:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

new_user I can cut the cord fairly easily too -probably because I'm content with my family- but I have to remind myself from time to time that no one's perfect, and I have to be willing to bear with someone else's flaws for them to bear with mine. It makes me a little uneasy to think that a friend might as easily cut the cord as I. The hard part is just knowing when it's fair to do that.

But I'm considerably better adjusted than Bryony, LOL. Quite introverted myself though. She's very realistic, as is Leo, so I had no trouble with them. You're right. It was sadder that the real problem in the relationship was Bryony's feelings about herself and to some extent Leo's. Sometimes when the obstacles are more true to life it makes me a little more uneasy too. Better there's some Romancelandia obstacle, LOL.

Catherine I have to remind myself that too. I try not to be uptight about stupid little things.

I liked this book, but I found it sad too.

Kinga Ha. About two weeks ago one of my ex-fling said to me: "You know why no man ever sticks around? Because you are weird and cold!"
"I beg your pardon?" I said. "I prefer eccentric and aloof".