Regine's Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Dec 17, 10

bookshelves: bucket-list-books, classics, owned, favourites
Read from November 24 to December 06, 2010

There's an ongoing battle between Jane Austen fans about which novel is her greatest work. While my heart will always belong to Mr. Darcy and Liza Bennet, and Pride and Prejudice will always be my favourite book, I think that Persuasion is Jane Austen at her best. The book encompasses everything we love about Austen: witty dialogue, breath-taking romance, and a satiric glimpse of Georgian society. However, this novel has more depth and maturity than any of Austen's previous work.

At the centre of the story is the beautiful romance between Anne Elliot and Captain Wentworth. Although eight years earlier they were passionately in love, Anne rejects Wentworth because she is persuaded by a close friend that she could make a better match. She never does. At the ripe age of 27, nearing the age of spinsterhood, Captain Wentworth re-enters her life. Even though Wntworth is courting another woman, Anne hopes that their love might be rekindled.

Persuasion, perhaps more than Austen's other novels, is bubbling to the brim with social commentary. Anne's family is shallow and materialistic. I remember laughing out loud at one point when her father complains about how many unattractive women there are in his neighborhood.

Anne is what every young woman should aspire to be: she's kind-hearted, strong, intelligent, and fair. It's very easy to sympathize and fall in love with this character as she reflects upon and learns from her mistakes. She is often overlooked by her own ridiculous family because she doesn't share their values of wealth and beauty, and she has come to accept the limitations of being an unwed woman. Her romance with Wentworth was the summer of her life, and this decline, this sense of longing and regret, is her autumn.

However, as in all of Austen's novels, the good are rewarded, and the bad are (mildly) punished. Captain Wentworth writes the most romantic letter you'll ever read. I'm actually contemplating getting a line from the letter tattooed on my body:

"I am half agony, half hope.".
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

Quotes Regine Liked

Jane Austen
“You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you.”
Jane Austen, Persuasion

message 1: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Yay, I will be reading this one too. But I just check the 1001 list (2010 version) and the two remaining for me is Emma and Mansfield Park. Most people say that P&P is her best. Some say, S & S. But a lot of people, say that it is her last, this one: Persuation. None of my friends says Emma or Mansfield. Hay, since you picked up Persuation, I might as well.

Regine Whenever I talk to other Austen fans, the best books usually boil down to "Pride and Prejudice" or "Persuasion". I think that the reason that people are turned off by "Emma" and "Mansfield Park" is because of the heroines-- they aren't exactly the most ideal, or the most noble of Austen's characters.

I know you struggle a little bit with Austen because you look at it as "chick lit". If you look at Austen as a writer of satiric work, I think you'll appreciate her a little bit more.

message 3: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Wow, 5 stars! I will read Persuasion next. Yes, I agree with the tip. I will change my paradigm on Austen. Promise.

message 4: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi Mellow 94.7 recommends this book too

Regine I have no idea who that is! lol

message 6: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely I will read this during the holidays together with Shame by Salman Rushdie! I want Austen and Rushdie be together in my mind when the 2010 ends and 2011 begins!

Nice review! TFG is now waiting for when we will all see you for a mini-meet up! Let us know your schedule.

Regine Austen and Rushdie are my favourites. I haven't read Shame by Rushdie yet. I think for the group read of Rushdie, we should include his children's books so that other members aren't intimidated by the choices.

We're still working on a schedule. But I'll let you know as soon as possible.

message 8: by K.D. (last edited Dec 20, 2010 03:27PM) (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Hope you will be available on a Saturday or any of these workday nights: M, T, Thu or hopefully Friday. I am not available on Wednesday nights.
It it will be on a Saturday, it is nearer to everyone to hold this in Quezon City. If it will be on a workday's night, we can meet at SM Megamall or SM North EDSA or Trinoma. There is also a suggestion to meet at Libis (Tina's office) and do bowling together. The bowling balls there are luminous and the lights are dim for effects ha ha!

message 9: by Joyzi (last edited Dec 20, 2010 01:07AM) (new)

Joyzi @Regine Mellow 94.7 is a radio fm station they have a segment about books in their am show in weekdays

Regine haha. bowling sounds amazing... even though I'm horrible at it. I'm taking my boyfriend with me. Just so you know. I will let everyone know as soon as possible, and Wow, thanks for the likes guys!

message 11: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely So the French guy will be with you? Awww, Jzhun was thinking that it will be his chance to migrate to Canada ha ha.

Regine Jzhun? I'd be tempted to have a Filipino boy toy on the side. Hahaha.

I kid.

message 13: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev Awww... there goes my chance for a Green Card.
Anyway, still keeping my hopes up, do in anyway have a younger sister? Eh? Eh? *wink* *wink*

Regine lol. I have two older sisters. Both of them are taken . Haha. I could still sneak you in my luggage, possibly.

message 15: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev I think I'll just settle for the Filipino boy toy on the side. Since you'll be here, you'll be needing some GOOD "hospitality services." Hope I can amply provide that one. Ahahaha! :D
Just kidding Regine! Love you darling!♥♥♥

message 16: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Huh? What's going on?

Regine Being a my boy toy will be an exhausting position. Hospitality services...does that include bed and breakfast? Bahahaha!!!!

And K.D.... just joking around. lol.

message 18: by jzhunagev (new)

jzhunagev Regine wrote: "Being a my boy toy will be an exhausting position. Hospitality services...does that include bed and breakfast? Bahahaha!!!!

And K.D.... just joking around. lol."

I've been in a lot of "exhausting positions" lately, and I'm a man who never shy away from any challenges...plus I know how to improvise. Ehehehe... :D
Oh yes, "hospitality services" in bed during breakfast is included indeed! Bahahaha! :D

Love you darling!!!♥♥♥

message 19: by K.D. (new) - added it

K.D. Absolutely Oh my.

Regine haha. Love you both.