Barbara ★'s Reviews > The Oldest Kind of Magic

The Oldest Kind of Magic by Ann Macela

1968285
I had a very difficult time with this book. The premise sounds interesting but the choppy writing style ruined it. Everything seemed stilted: the personalities, the conversations, the world setup...just bleh.

TSTL heroine Daria Morgan is a whiny witch (no she really is a witch). "Poor me, I'm a virgin at 30 and do NOT want a soulmate. I refuse to give into fate. What about my free will." blah blah blah. What's that saying about protesting too much. ugh! I don't know WTH is wrong with Daria but if I meet a guy who gives me a feeling I've never felt before from a single touch, I'm gonna want to get closer to him and find out what he has that no one else does. How do you get to be 30 and have no idea how to act around a man? Geez, she must have been living in a cave. The whole thing is just not believable and her poor me schtick is rather annoying. I kept thinking "Pa-lease, get over yourself already!"

I gave up on page 64. I just couldn't take it any monger. What utter crap!

ETA: I had nothing else to read today so I was forced to pick this up again in desperation...I should have sat there and stared at the wall instead. Ugh what a waste of a few hours though if you can get past the first 100 pages or so, it does get a little better once the H/H has something other than their non-relationship to deal with. Sadly, I once again gave up on this book (and all sequels) around page 200. I just couldn't stomach anymore of this pap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oldest Kind of Magic.

04/26/2012 page 51
13.0% "really hard to get into as the writing is terrible."