Jennifer Lavoie's Reviews > Luna

Luna by Julie Anne Peters

Jun 26, 10

bookshelves: lgbt, classroom-library
I own a copy

A very powerful book that looks at a very controversial issue. Julie Anne Peters has done that with many books, and she does so in a tasteful manner. I loved this book because it not only deals with Liam becoming more comfortable with himself and the slow process of him becoming Luna, but it also looks at Regan and how she reacts to seeing her brother. There are not enough books out there for gay and lesbian teens, and even less for transgendered teens. This one, I would have to say, is the best.

I do have this book in my classroom and I recommend it to students who have read the author's other books before. This year I had quite a few students who truly enjoyed the book and I did not get it back into my classroom until close to the last day of school. Every secondary school should have a copy of this book in the library or at least a classroom. I think it is important to open teens eyes to the very real issues that their classmates may be facing. This book is one of the best to accomplish that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Luna.