Karen's Reviews > The Enchantment Emporium

The Enchantment Emporium by Tanya Huff

Jun 26, 2010

liked it
Read from June 24 to 26, 2010 — I own a copy

1. I really don't like the language. Unfortunately it's true for today, but still used needlessly.

2. The story can't seem to make up its mind as to whether it's a story of two people finding each other or a story of saving the world. Of the two only one has a slightly satisfying ending.

3. There is a lot of sex in the book. Fortunately, it's implied rather than described in detail. Unfortunately, most of it is between cousins, which is not unheard of, but in most societies makes people a little squeemish.

4. If it weren't for the explaining of the world and habits of the Fey and, to some extent witches, in the Dresden File file books by Jim Butcher and the Mercedes Thompson books by Patricia Briggs, I wouldn't have had much of a clue as to what was going on. Even then, it was hard to ignore the fact that terms were used casually without any attempt to put them in context for the regular reader.

So why did this book get a 3-star rating? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure. I guess the overall story was good enough even if the execution left A LOT to be desired. I liked the characters and would like to see future books with them. I just hope that if they are in the works that they will be put together better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchantment Emporium.