Giovanni Gelati's Reviews > Between a Heart and a Rock Place: A Memoir

Between a Heart and a Rock Place by Pat Benatar

Jul 01, 2010

Read from June 26 to 28, 2010

Once I saw that this was going to be released I had to read it; I made this be my non- fiction novel for the month. I must admit to being a big fan ( I am part of the Benatar Fan Club) and collecting all the cassettes (Just to give you an idea of prices at that time, I think a Slurpee with the collector cups cost $.25). Getting that out of the way, the first thing I did when I cracked the book open was go to the picture area in the middle, I love that part of the non-fiction books. Then I read the cover of the book, here are some stats on Benatar’s accomplishments: Four Grammy Awards and more than twenty three million records sold, nineteen Top 40 singles. Not too shabby.
The novel itself is very insightful and it doesn’t seem if she holds much back. Patsi Bale Cox gets credited with the assist on the novel and the manner in which she narrates her life story is very smooth, clean and provocative. She was and is a force in rock and roll. I thoroughly enjoyed the way she described meeting her husband and partner Neil “ Spider” Giraldo. The connection and the music that they made are amazing. Having seen them in concert recently (I took my wife as an anniversary present), I was totally fascinated at the dynamic the two shared, and the way she describes their relationship only validated what we had witnessed. It was a total partnership and something to see and enjoy. Personally I have always maintained his influence in pop music since they hit the scene. His guitar playing and style are heard today. The novel for me was just not something that gave me insight into one of my favorite musicians but a validation of why I enjoyed them so much. They were and are much more than the music. When the lights go down they have substance and depth, not the shallowness we see in some of our alleged stars.
Between a Heart and a Rock Place is a great title. I was a little thrown off by it at first but it makes much more sense once you go through it. Fortunately now I have the music on my iPod , my cassettes are gone, but the music is timeless. Seeing these partners in concerts is nothing short of awesome. Pat Benatar can still bring it, and Neil Giraldo’s guitar play is as moving as ever. We saw them the last time they were in Red Bank, New Jersey and she said the fans were crazier now than when they were at their height. I was not one of the nuts trying to crash the stage; I had a great view and was content to enjoy and take in every minute of it, just like I did this novel. What is your favorite Benatar hit?
What are you reading today? Check us out and become our friend on Facebook. Go to Goodreads and become our friend there and suggest books for us to read and post on. You can also follow us on Twitter, Book Blogs, and also look for our posts on Amazon. Did you know you can shop directly on Amazon by clicking the Gelati’s Store Tab on our blog? Thanks for stopping by today; we will see you tomorrow. Have a great day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between a Heart and a Rock Place.

06/26/2010 page 10
06/27/2010 page 93
26.0% "Look for our post on Thursday."

message 1: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Lamperd Another great review, Giovanni.

Laurel

Giovanni Gelati Thanks again, I enjoyed the insight the book gave me into two of my favorite rock stars.Not just Pat Benatar but her her husband also, Neil Giraldo.I have always enjoyed his guitar riffs.The passion they both have for their music is clearly evident in their performances during their concerts.