Angela Alcorn's Reviews > Montessori for Parents

Montessori for Parents by Dorothy Canfield Fisher

This is a very interesting insight into the world of Montessori schooling. Dorothy Fisher went to visit a Montessori school just to see how it all worked, then felt she needed to dedicate a whole book to her observations, since any less would fail to suffice.

She studies the children and the methods while comparing them to her own schooling and how she has brought up her own children. Her fascination with the methods and outright astonishment with the behaviour of the kids is very clear throughout her writing. The process of learning about the methods has also obviously transformed the way she views teaching and the treatment of children.

This book has given me a great insight into the world of a Montessori classroom and the underlying principles which make them work. I'm glad to have read about Montessori in this way rather than reading a manual or Montessori's own books. Fisher's book makes the reader feel as if they are also an observer in the classroom, simply watching the children, the teacher and basically learning about Montessori in an entirely Montessori way.

Originally titled "A Montessori Mother", this book was written in 1912. In 1965 it was printed with the title "Montessori for Parents". It's available in the public domain online for free here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Montessori for Parents.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Shannon (Giraffe Days) I had no idea Montessori schools had been around for so long! 1912 you say? And the book's still in print! (kind of). Thanks for the link - I'm very curious about the Montessori method.

Angela Alcorn You're welcome. I love finding and sharing good public domain books. :)

If you're interested in Montessori, this book is a great introduction. By the end of it you'll definitely feel as if you understand the basic principles and how it all works.

message 3: by Po (new)

Po I would like to ask how you differentiate or compare in a simple way Montessori in some other methods or techniques according to your understanding ?

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X Montessori schools are *supposed* to conform to certain methods, but they are as different from each other as any other two schools. My son went to Montessori schools in the UK (run by Australians) and in the Caribbean (English-run) and they shared almost nothing in common. I believe the first school adhered more strictly to the formula but I might be wrong on that as I've never read a book on it.