Lisa the Librarian's Reviews > Song of the Sparrow

Song of the Sparrow by Lisa Ann Sandell

Jun 26, 10

Read in June, 2010

A different perspective on an aspect of the Authurian legends. This is the first person account of Elaine of Ascolat (famously knows as the Lady of Shallot in Tennyson's famous poem)

Elaine tells her sory in a free verse poetry style. This makes the book a very quick read. It also is a tad bit confusing until you figure out that instead quotation marks to indicate dialog the words are in italics, to further confuse teh word "said" (or any other substitute) is never used. Characters just speak to Elaine, or she to them and the reader just needs to be paying attention.

This is also not the Arthur who pulls a sword from a stone, there is a round table but no king and Lancelot, Gawain etc are not knights. Still they are gallant, honorable and kind.

I liked the fresh perspective on the characters and the challenges Elaine faces as the sole female living in a war camp.

There are some plot twists, but I saw them coming. Overall it was a nice read, but not one I'll read over and over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Sparrow.