Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Jan 16, 13

bookshelves: loved-loved-loved
Read in January, 2012 — I own a copy

If I fail my exams this week, I blame this book.

Ah Ender's Game, how you have sat on my bookshelf for over a year before I got to you. You have been so nicely received by the sci-fi community so why did I put you off? BECAUSE I WAS STUPID, THAT IS WHY.

My stupidity aside, I hope you guys will still consider this 5-star review to be credible and valid. I'll list off the pros and cons to this novel and you can decide.

Pros:
An adorable main character.
Ender (Andrew) Wiggins was a breath of fresh air from the strong heroine of YA literature. Being a 6 year old at the beginning of the novel, I was completely caught off guard by his maturity and how sneaky he was.

The tactics used in the Game.
The reason the Hunger Games was interesting to me were solely due to the tactics Katniss used to stay alive, Well, guess what? Ender Wiggins just pretty much kick this Katniss chick's butt. Ender almost reminded me of Alexander the Great or Napoleon and I LOVED IT.

Oh the perceptive of Valentine and Peter was also very fascinating. The political backdrop highlighted by Demosthenes and Locke was very refreshing for a science student like me.

Now, I shall move on to the cons:
The lack of romance.
OMG WHO AM I SUPPOSE TO SHIP NOW? NO DARK, MYSTERIOUS BOY WHO THE MAIN CHARACTER CAN FEEL SEXUALLY FRUSTRATED FOR.

Haha, just kidding. I am glad the focus was on Ender and his growth to his maximum potential. The lack of romantic development is one of the best thing about this novel. I find romance takes away from such a masterpiece.

Just to be clear, there are no cons to this book. I am just a fool who never listen to others' opinions and it often comes back to bite me in the rear.

Joke's on me, I suppose.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt I never finished this (I think I've started at least twice) so I'll definitely try to stick with it and complete it :D

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Try the audiobook. Due to school, I half-read, half-listened to this. To me, the world building was wonderful and it got off the ground right away, pun intended. (Zero-gravity lol). Yeah, okay. I'll stop.

Inoli You've been reminding me lately with this review and some comments here and there that I've had Speaker for the Dead for some time now and it's about time I got to it. I just moved it to a much more visible, prominent stack.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Awesome! :) I bought Speaker for the Dead when I bought Ender's Game and now am searching for the rest of the series.

I am excited for you to read onward and I can't believe I can motivate people. \^0^/

Inoli Haha. Of course you can ... and do.

I have Xenocide on a wish list at BetterWorldBooks.com but I haven't been happy yet with the edition/price I've found so I'm holding off on that one for now. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Do you buy used books?

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Boy do I?! I shop used quite often now because if I didn't, I'll break my bank. xD

I find BetterWorldBooks doesn't always have the best prices. I haven't bought anny from the site before? Book Depository doesn't have the most reliable shipping and since BetterWorldBooks have free shipping too.

Inoli A while back when I first started buying from BWB I saw that a $4 or $5 book was available elsewhere for like 99 cents but when I looked closer it turned out the shipping, per book, balanced that out. Then it turns out that I find such a high percentage of what I want in the bargain bin that the price advantage shifts very much toward BWB. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement but I'm still very pleased after spending hundreds of dollars over the last couple years. I browse lists from searches and look for the best condition available. I think I've had one book out the last couple hundred of which I wasn't more then satisfiied with the condition. Plus there's the whole support for literacy programs thing. Me too with the bank breaking. If I bought all my books new (which I do when I can) I wouldn't have a place to keep them or myself warm and dry and comfy.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen No. Don't worry. I love recommendations and suggestions. Good to know that it turns out to be a good value at the end. I'll go have a look right now and create a list. I do like the amount of giving back BWB is doing.

For now, I'll just keep working away at my to-read pile. I might never finish this Ender's series at this rate. Too many books to read. xD

Justin I bought this at a library book sale for 50 cents. :D

I found the rest of the series there too but I didn't buy it.

Maybe I should've. I might regret it later. XD

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Oh~ That's actually awesome. I really liked this book and I find it really inventive considering when it was wrote (I think it was a short story at first, written in the 60s or 70s).

Being book obsessed, I would have bought the whole thing but then again, I think the second book was completely different from the first so I'm not sure if I'll like it (but I think I will).
Don't regret it, maybe you'll find an even better book next time. (And you must take me to your library sale one day. It sounds awesome!)

Justin There's one this Saturday but i can't go cause my mom is working. :(

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "There's one this Saturday but i can't go cause my mom is working. :("

Bussing? Is that an option?

Justin Stella wrote: "Justin wrote: "There's one this Saturday but i can't go cause my mom is working. :("

Bussing? Is that an option?"

Not really cause she pays. XD

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Justin wrote: "Stella wrote: "Justin wrote: "There's one this Saturday but i can't go cause my mom is working. :("

Bussing? Is that an option?"

Not really cause she pays. XD"

Ah, bugger. That's so frustrating. You can almost see my heart wilting at the thought of a missed book sale.

message 15: by Melissa (new)

Melissa I don't know if your willing to use Amazon but they have Xenocide for a penny and then 3.99 for shipping. To me that is a fair price. =)

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Melissa wrote: "I don't know if your willing to use Amazon but they have Xenocide for a penny and then 3.99 for shipping. To me that is a fair price. =)"

I would use Amazon but I believe it's more expensive to ship to Canada. :( I still have to read the second book anyways so I'm not in a rush, but thanks, Mel. :)

Suzanne Continue the series. There kind of is a romantic angle later on which is introduced extremely briefly (requiring later context clues) in the first book.

message 18: by Stella (last edited Mar 03, 2013 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Suzanne wrote: "Continue the series. There kind of is a romantic angle later on which is introduced extremely briefly (requiring later context clues) in the first book."

Ohh okay. Orson Scott Card is such a tease.

Justin Stella wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Continue the series. There kind of is a romantic angle later on which is introduced extremely briefly (requiring later context clues) in the first book."

Ohh okay. Orson Scoot Card..."

"Scoot" XD

message 20: by Genesis (new)

Genesis Alejo I agree Ender, Adorable!

message 21: by Stella (last edited Mar 03, 2013 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Genesis wrote: "I agree Ender, Adorable!"

Glad you thought the same. He was definitely an intriguing main character.

Justin wrote: "Stella wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "Continue the series. There kind of is a romantic angle later on which is introduced extremely briefly (requiring later context clues) in the first book."

Ohh okay. ..."

Ugh Justin. Scooty is just my nickname for him, okay. ;) It was totally on purpose.

message 22: by Genesis (new)

Genesis Alejo Hahaha :)

message 23: by Amol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amol Gupta Completely agree with your review! In fact I was planning to read the series in chronological order but the fact that would not have Ender as the main character is making me rethink and pick up speaker for the dead instead!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Amol wrote: "Completely agree with your review! In fact I was planning to read the series in chronological order but the fact that would not have Ender as the main character is making me rethink and pick up spe..."

Thank you Amol! :)Like you, I am also hesitant to start Speaker For the Dead. I have been told Speaker For the Dead is very different from Ender's Game, which is why I haven't started it yet. In my opinion, Ender's Game is a good stand-alone so I am satisfied with not reading the rest. But I might one day.

If you choose to read the second book, please let me know what you think.

message 25: by Amol (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amol Gupta Yes, some folks have told me its different and even better than Ender's game (if that is possible!). Yes, will surely let you know; though I am attempting to read cryptonomicon as well at the same time so might be a while before I finish!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Some of my friends have also told me the same thing. (I sure hope it lives up to my expectations.)

Ah, Neal Stephenson. His books are intimidating. I have Anathem sitting on my shelf but I think it's a book I should read when I am wise and old. I sounds like a book for someone who has already experienced a huge part of life already. Way above my head, at the moment.

message 27: by Love (new)

Love Bright Lol. Same way. I am going to blame this book for me failing 5 exams :)

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Love wrote: "Lol. Same way. I am going to blame this book for me failing 5 exams :)"

;) Too bad future employers won't accept this excuse. Darn.

message 29: by Yo (new)

Yo Yo uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhh uhhhhhhhhhhhhh uhhhhhh oh ya

Matthew Just thinking the same!

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Matthew Krueger wrote: "Just thinking the same!"

Thank you. Matthew. :)

message 32: by Joni (new) - rated it 1 star

Joni Willis-varble How can you recommend a book about a 6 year old child in war suitable for anyone?

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Joni wrote: "How can you recommend a book about a 6 year old child in war suitable for anyone?"

Well, what am I suppose to aay? I personally really enjoyed the book and I want to give it enough exposure so others will pick it up. I guess you want me to put down: "For sadists who enjoy reading about 6-year-olds fighting in a war"?