John's Reviews > Conversations with American Writers: The Doubt, the Faith, the In-Between

Conversations with American Writers by W. Dale Brown

Jun 25, 2010

bookshelves: writing, library_books
Read in July, 2010

I hadn't realized that the "faith" in the title referred to a religious (spiritual) aspect when I checked this book out; I'd thought it referred to their faith in their abilities. No matter, it's still a solid collection of interviews, with the faith aspect more low key - one writer has even been blacklisted from the Christian book circuit. Moreover, there is plenty of discussion of writing in general, not just the faith aspect. Brown proves a skilled interviewer, although some of the entries did get slightly bogged down for me (I'm not always the most patient reader at times). If I have a quibble, it's that there's a pronounced southern (Appalachian) cultural skew.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Conversations with American Writers.

message 1: by Beth (new)

Beth John, just for your future reference: If a book was published by Eerdmans, it will be about religion in some way, typically with a conservative evangelical Christian slant. Eerdmans is a family-owned publisher from the Reformed Church tradition. (One of those weird bits of trivia I picked up in my old job at a religious publisher!) I find it interesting that in this case they were a bit coy with the title. I wouldn't have expected "faith" in this case to refer to religion if I hadn't seen that it was published by Eerdmans.

John Thanks for the background -- it's a relatively secular book; the only author I skipped was Jan Karon. One of the interviewees is a Quaker minister who (gently) mocks Karon's series' clergyman protagonist for praying every five minutes! At least a couple of the writers have given up on organized religion altogether.