Lady Knight's Reviews > Jane Austen Ruined My Life

Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Pattillo

Jun 25, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary, regency, adult, public-library, england-uk, romance-focused
Read in November, 2009

I picked this up with some hesitation, but I was really pleased with the way this novel turned out! Emma Grant is a disillusioned university professor who just caught her husband and her teaching assistant in a compromising situation and has just been accused of academic theft from the same teaching assistant. Even though the accusation of theft is false, her career and reputation is still in shreds and worst of all.... she blames Jane Austen! Emma grew up loving the Austen novels and developped a strong belief in happy endings, so every time life knocks her down she points the finger at Jane for saying life could be perfect. Now, broke and in search of an academic gem to turn her life around, she winds up in London at her cousin's flat. To her utter surprise she catches her former best friend there. She and Adam had been together for ever but he left when she married Edward. Now he's back and Emma has to figure out if he's back as her best friend or as a boyfriend. Add to that the fact that Emma is hot on the trail of the missing Jane Austen letters and you have one heck of a good story! Great fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Austen Ruined My Life.