Rosana's Reviews > Burnt Shadows

Burnt Shadows by Kamila Shamsie

Feb 18, 11

bookshelves: book-club, 2011
Read from February 15 to 18, 2011

I spent the afternoon reading this book when I should had been doing other things; the worst part is that I was driven to read longer and faster as the plot disintegrated. This is too bad that a book that started so promising would finish in such a flop. It feels as if the author did not know how to end it, the more she tried, the more confusing it became, until finally she got tired and gave it up.

I really wish that Shamsie had put the first three quarters of this story in a drawer for a couple of years, and revisited it when the ending finally came to her.

Still, I am giving 3 stars because the beginning was so promising, and because moments of brilliance in the writing. Also, I have a feeling it will lead to a great discussion at my next bookclub meeting. The poor ending does not take way from many of the ethical/moral/spiritual questions about wars, dislocation, immigration, nuclear weapons, etc...

I don’t want to discourage anyone from reading it, either. But it just didn’t live up to my personal expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burnt Shadows.