Susan Erhardt's Reviews > In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto

202004
Jun 25, 10

bookshelves: adult-nonfiction
Read in June, 2010

Great book! It expecially helped clarify for me the reasons for choosing organic food, the reasons to eat "food" (versus packaged food-like substances), and the reasons to eat lots of leafy greens. Everyone should read this book.

The one quibble I had was his extolling the virtues of the farmer's market. He has obviously never visited ours. While nice, most of the farmer's use pesticides and have produce from out of state, if not from across the country. They do not advertise that fact either, which I find a bit disengenous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Defense of Food.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tricia (last edited Jun 29, 2010 05:33PM) (new)

Tricia I've heard that about some markets. Ours has a distance limit, and requires that the vendor grow the produce or raise the livestock, bake the goods, etc. There's even a big stink right now because someone who is selling baked goods (along with lots of fruit) is accused of using "heat and serve" products instead of starting from scratch.

I'm not so bothered that some vendors use conventional methods (pesticides and fertilizers) but I do prefer to support the organic ones!