Amy's Reviews > The Club Dumas

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

Dec 22, 07

Read in June, 2007

This book was listed by someone as a favorite ever book. I hadn't heard of it before, so I looked it up--it sounded pretty good and I always enjoy this type of story. It's a thriller about books and reading. What could be better?

I don't want to go too much into the plot because it's very twisty and I like to make sure I avoid spoilers. Let's just say it has to do with rare book collecting, extreme fans of Alexandre Dumas, and the occult. There's a lot of action.

Even though I did get really into it and announced on Sunday morning, when I had about 100 pages left, that I would be unavailable for any further activities until I finished my book, I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I expected to. I didn't find myself caring all that much about any of the characters or what happened to them, so I was really just reading to find out the answers to the puzzle(s). One of the mysteries surrounds the meaning of some engravings in a manuscript, and maybe I am missing something, but I didn't feel like I understood how it was finally figured out. I could have spent more time looking at the illustrations (they're included), and the final chapter trying to see if I could get it, but I don't know if I want to do that unless I have confirmation that the answer is there for me to find. (Hey, I have 24 other books to read this Summer.)

All in all, I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. I should add, though, that I haven't read the Three Musketeers, except for an abridged edition that was in my kiddie classics set. A Dumas fan would probably be much more into this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Club Dumas.