Whitelady3's Reviews > Gods Behaving Badly

Aug 17, 10

bookshelves: not-own, 2010
Recommended to Whitelady3 by: Julie
Read from July 25 to 30, 2010

I learned of this book through the blog Outlandish Dreaming,which had a very positive review. Since the author introduced me to other books I come to like, especially Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and had the opportunity to read the first chapter which I really enjoyed, it was with some anticipation that I picked up this book.

Unfortunately the first chapter must be the funnier. From there we get to know the characters, in this case Greek gods who inhabit a house in London and seem to have fallen from grace, who leave something to be desired. Apollo, the god of the sun, divination, music and so on, works (with little success) as a psychic for a television channel, is very annoying, and seems to have only one goal in mind, to have sex with someone other than Aphrodite because the sex between them is becoming a commonplace. Aphrodite, the goddess of love, answers erotic calls on her cellphone, which ringtone is "Venus" by the group Bananarama, and just like the former character is also very annoying. Because she gets upset with Apollo, when he didn't get hot water for her bath, Aphrodite makes her son Eros, converted to Christianity, to shoot an arrow causing Apollo to fall hopelessly in love with a mortal, triggering the events of this book.

In a book with Gods it's the mortals who stand out for being quite normal and pleasant to follow. Alice is a quiet young woman with a talent for Scrabble, who after being fired for watching Apollo's program during which he fell for her, starts working at the gods' house. There, Apollo tries to seduce her with no success and resolves to take revenge. Luckily for Alice, there's also a hero, though he doesn't quite match the image of the ancient Greek heroes. Still Neil, with the help of Artemis (the only goddess worth following in this book), tries to save the day.

I expected a book with a more interesting story, very funny and with hilarious situations. Instead, I found a book devoid of emotion, which didn't become that boring but, while going through the pages, I couldn't stop thinking about putting it aside and move on to another. Fortunately, the story took a more dramatic tone, providing a very welcome twist, something that I really wasn't expecting.

Despite the rating, mostly because of the last third of the book, is not really a book I would recommend.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gods Behaving Badly.

07/27/2010 page 50
24.0% "Seems to be moving pretty slowly. :/"
07/29/2010 page 191
92.0% "Reads well but I'm not enjoying it as I thought I would."
show 1 hidden update…