Nairabell's Reviews > Night of the Living Deed

1954980
Jan 23, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, 4-star
Read from January 18 to 23, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Alison Kerby is carving out a new life for herself after her divorce by purchasing a rundown property on the New Jersey shore. She's always dreamed of returning to her home town and opening a guesthouse there, so when the ideal property became available she brought it straight away and moved in with her nine-year-old daughter Melissa. A head injury during the renovations leaves Alison with the ability to see ghosts, and she soon realises her guesthouse already has two residents. Paul and Maxie are stubborn, interfering spirits who won't leave Alison alone until she solves the mystery surrounding their deaths.

I picked up this last summer as I love paranormal mysteries and this sounded like a unique premise. This book does suffer from 'first-book-in-a-series-itis' which dented my enjoyment slightly. There's nothing wrong with the book, but the detailed and meticulous way in which the world and characters are created means that the story takes quite a while (probably half to two thirds of the book) to really get going. This level of world building usually indicates a series that has the potential to run for a long time, and means that subsequent books need very little set up.

The plot is packed full of twists and turns, most set up in incredibly subtle ways that don't show until you're thinking back with hindsight. I love when a mystery follows a path I didn't expect, and this one definitely did that with several 'what?!' moments scattered throughout the book.

In terms of characters, the author has done a great job of collecting the usual cozy mystery cast - the cop, the journalist, the sleuth, the slightly nutty family member, the cute kid, the love interest etc. However the depth and detail of each character presented means that these aren't your cookie cutter characters. I like Alison, especially her snarky sense of humour, but my favourite characters are definitely the ghosts and I'm hoping they stick around for future books. I love how Alison has a dead PI helping her investigate, especially as I've not seen this before.

All in all this was a great mystery to curl up with and I'm looking forward to An Uninvited Ghost out in April 2011.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 7/10
Cover: 7/10

Overall: 44/50
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night of the Living Deed.

01/23/2011 page 166