Belinda G's Reviews > City of Thieves

bookshelves: read-to-the-death
Recommended to Belinda by: lady at town hall A&R
Recommended for: guys
Read from June 25 to 28, 2010

My three star review doesnt mean I didnt like this book. It means it was a painful book to read sometimes because of the awful, horrible violence, and I couldnt put it down, and that I think it's good, but not drop dead amazing. I think guys would like it a lot more than girls, because of the sexual stuff and the jokes that werent exactly funny (were they meant to be?) and the blood, gore, violence and fighting.
Read it, it is good. Just not amazing.

Oh, and it makes me laugh that people have given this book one star reviews coz of the violence, and the sex, and the swearing, and the VIOLENCESEXANDSWEARING! OMG! He said CUNT! I'm telling mummy!!
What did you think it was going to be, a pretty little number, which involves the main characters being sweet little angels in a godforsaken land, and celibate 20year old soldier guys, and as gentle as a lamb in speaking?
Guys, come on. This is the damn seige of Leningrad. I'd rather be given the brutal details than have them glossed over. You want that, go read "The Bronze Horseman". This is WAR! War isnt pretty. People die, and people do terrible, awful things. That is WAR.
And as for the sex, these are people. In order to enjoy life and procreate, you generally need to have sex. True, I dont enjoy the way they sometimes spoke about women, but again, LIFE.
And swearing? This is Russia. Deal with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Thieves.

06/27/2010 page 290
06/27/2010 page 290
70.0% "any book that has a quote like "Your mothers C*** has a peculiar tubular shape, nonetheless I tolerate it's effluvium and enthusiastically lick it's inner folds whenever she demands!" is a winner in my book =P"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach this sounds really interesting!

Belinda G dont read it if you want a nice watered down Leningrad like Bronze Horseman... you may just be sick =P

message 3: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach if i can make it through 200 pages of "loveeemaking"
i think'll be okay =)

message 4: by Rach (new) - added it

Rach hehe i like the quote to it made me laugh

Belinda G theres not too much lurvemaking in this one. a lot of sex talk etc. its okay, the city of thieves makes up for what it lacks in lurve with blood, guts and gore. Fancy some Einsatzgruppen? How about a field full of dying dogs and cannibals in apartment blocks?