Tammy Walton Grant's Reviews > The Devil's Waltz

The Devil's Waltz by Anne Stuart

One of my favourite things in romance novels is when the hero has some kind of special nickname for the heroine. Not some sappy thing like "bees knees", but something witty. Some inside joke between the two of them, something sexy that he would say to her in a particular tone of voice reserved just for her. This book has it.

The Honourable Miss Annalise Kempton has fallen upon hard times. She is unmarried, almost 30 and virtually penniless. Her pedigree does not allow her to work for a living and so she spends her life "visiting" one family after another. Her latest visit is to the Chipples where she will guide young Hetty through her first season and help her to find a suitable husband. Hetty, of course, is headstrong and spoiled and has caught the eye of Christian Montcalm, a scoundrel of the first water.

On her first day Miss Annalise intercepts Hetty on her way to a secret assignation in the park with Christian Montcalm. She comes face to face with Christian and tells him in no uncertain terms what her duties are: "I'm someone who is going to make your designs on Miss Chipple impossible to carry out. So cast your lures elsewhere." Christian considers it a challenge and is intrigued by the woman his friend describes as "a dragon. And a bit long in the tooth. Not your type at all."

"You may be sure we'll meet again, dragon." he said, and for some reason the term sounded more affectionate than insulting. "

Ah, there it is. The nickname.

And away we go.

The story hooked me from the beginning. Christian calls her "dragon" through the entire book - who knew that word could be so romantic? He is fascinated by her in spite of himself , she is wildly attracted to him (again, in spite of HERself).

Their verbal sparring is engaging - you cheer for Miss Annalise from beginning to end. The sexual tension between the two is palpable and when they finally get together it is beautifully done. Christian is a completely unscrupulous rake but you love him anyway. He redeems himself by the end as most heroes do and the epilogue is a perfect finale to the HEA.

There are also the requisite villians, nefarious plots and a minor misunderstanding. Oh, and a fairly comic resolution to Hetty Chipple's search for a husband.

A very entertaining story from start to end. I loved it!

Original review written June 24/10.

25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Waltz.

Quotes Tammy Liked

Anne Stuart
“....He barely hesitated. "Then shall I ruin you, dragon?" "Yes please," she said. And she let the brown dress drop on the floor between them, closing her eyes once more.”
Anne Stuart, The Devil's Waltz

06/26/2010 "She's a spinster! My fave!"
06/27/2010 page 293
76.0% "....He barely hesitated. "Then shall I ruin you, dragon?"
"Yes please," she said. And she let the brown dress drop on the floor between them, clsoing her eyes once more."
06/27/2010 page 293
76.0% "LOVED IT!!!"

message 1: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ I think I am going to take the plunge and order this one tomorrow!

Tammy Walton Grant Oh good! I loved this book -- let me know when you start reading it!

Are you ordering from the library or a used book place?

message 3: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Actually, I found it on Amazon, used. I'm still spending birthday money!

Tammy Walton Grant This one is a keeper re-reader for me, so I hope you like it that much as well. You know me and my spinsters, lol.

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla I think you just have a girl boner for Anne Stuart. :P Because "dragon" doesn't sound much different from other snarky endearments in romance.

Tammy Walton Grant At least it's not 'buttercup' or something equally as silly.

And you're right -- huge boner for Anne Stuart. ;D

message 7: by Quinn (new) - added it

Quinn Great review, Tammy. I will be happy to try another AS historical!

message 8: by Karla (new)

Karla Tammy wrote: "At least it's not 'buttercup' or something equally as silly."

That's why I said snarky endearments as opposed to nauseating. :P The Heart of the Rose had shit like "little nightingale," but that one was a raging Mary Sue anyway.

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks Quinn! I hope you like it. :)

Karla, I have gotta stop trying to check my GR emails while I am at work. I completely missed the gist of your comment. *facepalm*. I love snarky endearments!

I read a book recently where the hero called the heroine something stupid like "little night flower" and I gagged everytime I read it. I mean really. It was downright creepy. My dad used to call me "little girl" when I was a teenager, mostly to prove a point. I cannot imagine how anyone could think that phrase was an endearment. Blech.

Catherine Great review, Tammy! This was the first historical Anne Stuart I read.

Catherine Karla wrote: "Although the worst one I can think of is "little girl," which was used ad freakin' nauseum in Uncertain Magic "

Oh Lord, that was so creepy! It gave me the heeby jeebies.

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks, Catherine :) It was my first, too.

I just checked out both yours and Karla's review of Uncertain Magic. Blech with a capital B. And you're both right - "little girl" is a squicky endearment - creepy and gross. After reading the quotes from the book when he says it, I feel like I need to go wash.

Catherine If he had said it any differently at all--like in a mocking way--I could have accepted it. But the way he did it just gave me the bad kind of shivers.

message 14: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne I need to stop reading these great reviews of yours Tammy...Lol My mtn is toppling!

Loved your review and added this one!

Tammy Walton Grant KatLynne wrote: "I need to stop reading these great reviews of yours Tammy...Lol My mtn is toppling!

Loved your review and added this one!"

Thanks so much, KatLynne! This is one of AS' best - hope you like it!

message 16: by Buggy (new)

Buggy AH Tamster, you're just the bees-knees. What a fantastic review. This sounds super good but then again you had me at Dragon.

Tammy Walton Grant LOL, Buggy, you make my day with your comments. :)

Let me know if you'd like to read this, I can hook you up. ;D

AgentScully Great review! I loved this book

Tammy Walton Grant Thanks, Scully - this is one of my faves. :)