Jules's Reviews > Warriors

Warriors by George R.R. Martin

Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from June 24 to 28, 2010

MY TAKE: I don't always read introductions to books, but I was glad I did read this one. I loved George R.R. Martin's reference to the "spinner rack" at the drugstore. He compares this collection to the variety of books and comics you might have found on one of those dime store racks.

I tried to read all of the stories, but got very bogged down on a couple of them. A few left me scratching my head or just being glad I was finished with that particular story, if I finished it at all. They really weren't my cup of tea, I guess. But...

That being said, three of the stories were quite memorable and enjoyable. The three of them alone made the book worth the purchase. I loved George R.R. Martin's "The Mystery Knight" - I'm planning on reading more of his Fire and Ice series now. As always, I loved Diana Gabaldon's writing with her story "The Custom of the Army" (I'm reviewing Echo of the Bone in a few weeks). And David Weber's "Out of the Dark" was a very well-weaved tale which left quite an impression. The biggest compliment in my mind is that all of these left me wanting more.

While I don't give it 5 stars, I would definitely recommend this book to others simply because I feel that there is truly something for everyone in this collection of warrior tales.

MY RATING: 4/5
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warriors.

06/24/2010 page 63