Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day)'s Reviews > The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer

I'm sure this book has been reviewed a lot already, and that the Twilight fans will definitely read it (or have already read it), while the non-fans aren't going to go one step near this book. So instead of a typical review, I'll just do some me-history-talk.

Until last summer, I would read only a couple of books a month. Not that I read slow, but once I completed a book, I waited a long time before picking the next book. This was mainly because, well, when I start a book, I would neglect work just to read. (Sssh!) Of course, I still do that but am disciplined now, and it took a lot of restraint to get here. So just to get more book choices, I joined a few online book clubs. I was still expecting to read one book, followed by a long break and only then the next book. And then, one of the book clubs chose Twilight as its monthly read. Now mind you, I hadn't even heard of this series. Stephenie Meyer who? But I liked the name of the book, and I had absolutely no idea what the book was about. I don't recollect if I knew it was about vampires. Probably not, else I would not have picked it up at all. So I placed a hold for the book at the library.

Then I started reading it. The rest, as they say, is history.

Well, not quite, I'm supposed to be talking about that history here.

So Twilight was .... engrossing. That's about the best adjective I can use here. I didn't like the book. I loved Edward, of course, and their tame vampire clan. I didn't like Bella. I hated her clinging-to-Edward's-shoulder actions. And I hated the writing. But I found it engrossing. So I got the remaining three books and devoured them over a weekend. Three books of 500+ pages. And I still found the books engrossing, although I complained about each book. So what is it about books like these that keep you turning pages? Even as you squirm and cringe at every page?

And then I realized that although the book ends on a cliffhanger, there are no new books staring at me from the horizon. Meyer recently confessed to being burned out on vampires. So I promised myself that I will not read another book in this series until I get a guarantee that the last book is out. So I was barely interested in The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. I mean, I barely remembered Bree. I just recalled one scene where she was being killed. And let's be honest, by that point of the story in Eclipse, weren't we all coaxing the Cullens to kill her? That was enough of drama, and we really didn't need another new vampire in the mix. And then, Meyer announces that the book will be free to read online between June 7th and July 5th. I considered that I would be a fool to pass up the opportunity to read a book free - it didn't matter which book. This was like a giveaway, except that everyone got a copy.

So after reading this book, I didn't exactly feel anything. I liked reading from Bree's perspective, but it wasn't exactly engrossing. It was like telling the same story from another perspective, but without any "Oh" moments. Bree was one of the newborn vampires recruited (rather, created) to get rid of Bella and the Cullens. Much of the book focuses on her days till the day of the battle. I did feel some sympathy for her and her circumstances, but not enough to feel it tragic. The story was pretty plausible, and it was refreshing not to have Bella or Edward in pivotal roles. Whooosh! The writing was a lot better than in the remaining four Twilight books, but it still lacked some depth. I blazed through the novella within two hours, and just rolled over to sleep. I didn't exactly feel there was something momentous in this book, rather it smacked of a gap-filler.

So, to continue my history, Twilight did do a good thing for me eventually. I read more. Not overwhelmingly more, but more than I've ever read. I guess that's when I got interested with this whole until-then-non-existent world of book blogging and online bookish websites. Like many would say, if a book can get you to read, or read more, as in my case, why blame the book?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Sterlingcindysu What a great non-review! You know, I've been doing the same thing, only with an Amish series--not great, but there's x more books left to read, so maybe it'll get better, maybe not, but then the whole story will be done.

With the Twilight series there's no doubt you have read more, that's for sure!

Athira (Reading on a Rainy Day) Some book series sure can get really addicting! It's funny when you don't like the books but you feel like you should keep reading it! LOL!