Carrie's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Dec 16, 09

Recommended for: Everyone
Read in September, 2007

This is my favourite book of all time.
Perhaps it is the very Timelessness of the Tale that makes it so appealing.
I love the ambience; reminiscent of gentler times, unencumbered by the material frippery, with which we surround ourselves in this rapid and relentless 21st Century.
I never tire of reading the exquisite dialogue; check out the one about the door mat! Just thinking about Ratty and his love affair with the peaceful riverbank, makes me calm and flow!
Toad is infuriating with his fads and scams but how patient are his friends, how calmly Badger takes control; for Toad's own good, of course and sorts him out. This is true love, true friendship: how I wish we could all imitate their tolerance and understanding of their friends' imperfections.
And Moley? He is adorable and eager and truly teaches us the meaning of, 'there's no place like home'.
I think anyone would be hard put to, to find a flaw in this beautifully written, beautifully illustrated, simple but spectacular story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Coalbanks Lovedit. Read it 1st in comic book format, read it a few times since, my kids loved a play "Toad Hall" based on the book & we read the book together. A great story that endures over the generations.

Carrie Greetings from England!

Anyone who loves this book is immediately my true friend!

I am away on promotions with 'Joni-Pip', right now but when I have time, I will dig out my favourite version of this Classic and copy out some amazing quotes from other writers and Statesmen.

Will you be my friend, please?

Keep safe,

Carrie

Coalbanks Shall make the attempt to add you to the list, actually you will be the one & only! Neo-Luddite that I am, the attempt may have "minor" results.

Carrie I am duly honoured, Sir.