Rachel's Reviews > Magic Under Glass

Magic Under Glass by Jaclyn Dolamore

Jun 24, 10

bookshelves: ya-books
Read in June, 2010

First note... The cover on the book I picked up is not the same as the one on goodreads and I much prefer the one I had. Neither of them reflect the ethnicity (Thai?) of the heroine though and that bugs me.

MUG is the story of a alternate world based on our world in the Edwardian time period with a touch of steampunk. The heroine is an asianish girl (never really stated, but her clothing, dancing, history are clearly of asian origin) who was wealthy in her home country, but now works as a singing/dancing entertainer at a low end club. A titled man hires her to accompany a clock-work, piano-playing automaton. Of course, the automaton is not what he seems.

I loved the set up of this book. I loved the automaton and the interaction between him and the heroine. I loved the heroine.

However, the story itself is almost too simple, and other than the heroine and Erris, the characters are rather cardboard. I also had the story figured out pretty early on and there weren't any surprises to make me wrong.

The biggest problem though was that the quality of the writing seemed to fall apart in the last quarter of the book. Where previously I'd been hooked with every word, I found myself skimming several pages at a time. It was really disappointing because I was all set up to love this, and then splat, I started rolling my eyes.

On the other hand, this is a new writer and I'll probably be willing to read the next book in the series (because of course it is a series).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Under Glass.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Library Lady There is nothing to say that the country is based on Thailand. I have never met anyone from Thailand named anything like Nimira, the name sounds more Arabic or perhaps Indian.

Rachel My second guess was India. I don't know why I thought Thai - more of a gut reaction than anything spelled out. (and since this is all imaginary anyways I suppose the author could have picked details from any number of countries.)

Belle Forcible 'Nim' sounds kind of Thai, but not 'Nimira.' So not Thai at all.