Destiny's Reviews > Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Jun 14, 2015

bookshelves: jane-austen, favorites, to-read
Read from June 24, 2010 to July 13, 2011 — I own a copy

What can I say about this book? At first it was a chore to read it. The prose seemed dull and I would put down my copy to read something else. Then I watched the 2005 film adaptation and simply fell in love with the characters. There was another experience that made me wish to continue to read P&P. I picked up my Penguin Classics copy of War and Peace and found it to be engaging and not boring at all. So I thought to myself, maybe it's the edition I have that's make this experience so unpleasant? So I bought the Penguin edition of it and bam! I finished up the last 100 pages in a day.

I am simply in love with Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy's love story. Mr. Darcy is like the epitome of the aloof and reserved man. I sort of have a thing for that type, since in my maybe naive mind, I think maybe I can get them to open up. Well of course Elizabeth made Darcy open up. I also like that neither Lizzie or Darcy was immediately in love with each other. It was gradual. I have been recently complaining about protagonists declaring their undying love for each other as soon as they meet. Love at first sight is a beautiful concept, but it's just not one I believe. I think to truly love someone you have to know them and accept all their flaws. And how can you possibly do that in such a short amount of time. So in my view, P&P was a great example of gradual love and two people getting to know each other.

Now I'm off to watch the 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. I've heard good things about it, but Matthew MacFayden is Mr. Darcy in my mind. Don't shoot!

Quotes Destiny Liked

Jane Austen
“Angry people are not always wise.”
Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

09/17/2010 page 152
06/19/2011 page 251
58.0% "The end of chapter 1 of Book 2 or 3 makes me hunger for more. Lizzie is excited because Mr. Darcy wants to introduce her to his sister. I can see why. That's a big step even in today's setting."
07/13/2011 page 316
66.0% "I love Kitty so much for some reason XD"
12/21/2013 marked as: currently-reading