Leane's Reviews > Yellow Star

Yellow Star by Jennifer Roy

Jun 24, 2010

bookshelves: biography, holocaust, non-fiction, poetry
Read from June 24 to 27, 2010

"Yellow Star" is absolutely beautiful. The entire book is written in free verse poetry, which might throw some people off, but I would highly recommend it. It's really a new concept for me, kinda reminded me of "Love that Dog" by Sharon Creech. What makes this book even better is the fact that it tells the true story of the author's aunt who was one of twelve children who survived the Lodtz ghetto in Poland. Told through the eyes of a child, the story is very emotional and heartwarming. I'm always interested to learn about survivors and their stories, and I really appreciate that author Jennifer Roy tried to do something different with this by writing it in poetry.

I was so distracted though because I kept having to stop and think of ways in which I would use this book in the classroom! So many great ideas!

The title really has a deeper meaning, and once you get to the end of the book, you will understand. I did cry a bit. The heart of the story for me was when Syvia bravely goes outside after spending months in a cellar and picks a pear from a tree. Also at the end when Syvia and her family are finally liberated by the Russians and she is given a bar of chocolate which she has never tasted before. Her reaction had me laughing and in tears.

I strongly urge teachers to read this book and brainstorm some ideas for classroom use if you teach a unit on the Holocaust.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yellow Star.