Katie's Reviews > How I Became a Pirate

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long

Dec 22, 07

bookshelves: children-books
Recommended for: people who like to say "arrrgh matey"
Read in December, 2006

I love pirate talk and this book has a lot of it. But it's the perfect kind of pirate talk for young children. They don't talk about drinking rum, fighting bandits or stealing from other ships ... it talks about pillow fights, staying up late and burying treasure!

Sweet, little Jeremy Jacob spies a pirate ship while making a sand castle and goes on board to help them find a place to bury their treasure (arrrgh matey). He soon learns that the life of a pirate is the life to lead! You don't have to eat your veggies, no manners to be had and you get to stay up really late! But then he learns the down side to being a pirate and that is not being able to play soccer and being away from his family - especially at night when he's trying to find a place to sleep.

This is a very cute book and it's very well-done. The illustrations are really great and sparked other conversations. I wished that I would have had this book when I was younger. My siblings and I would have LOVED this!! But instead my children do and that's just as great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Became a Pirate.