Juergen John Roscher's Reviews > Hondo

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: read_2010
Read from June 25 to 30, 2010

Date Read: 30-Jun-2010

I listened to a CD version of the book, “Hondo” as I commuted to work. I have read several of Louis L’Amour’s books and found this one to be one of his lesser works. It was entertaining and had some good tension and action but the story peaked after about 2/3rds of the way through the book when Ed Lowe was killed. I felt after this point in the novel that the ending was anticlimactic and predictable. I understand this was one of L’Amour’s first novels and he might have not been as skilled as a writer as he became later in his career.

What I disliked in the novel was the way that the character’s thoughts over simplified the male/female relationship between Hondo and Angie Lowe. It became redundant and routine how many time the phrase “What man needs is a women …” or “What a women needs is a man ..” I think more showing and less telling of the relationship between Hondo and Angie would have made the story stronger. There were no unexpected incidents in the book; in general the story progressed as was expected with the stranger getting the women and the white man defeating the Indians.

What I liked in this novel was the author’s extensive knowledge of the western life style – frontier homestead, farming, and handling horses; western country – mountain and desert country, animal behavior, and weather; and Indian and US frontier military lore. L’Amour is educated about the old west and does a masterful job of making the reader feel like they are part of it.

Overall this is a light, enjoyable novel with some minor issues but I recommend it to those who love western novel genre of fiction and/or fans of Louis L’Amour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hondo.