Erica (daydreamer)'s Reviews > Steel

Steel by Carrie Vaughn

Steel. Ooh, shiver me timbers just thinking about it! Can I just say epically amazing! Oh yeah, this is the book. It is brilliant! I was so excited to read it and so ready to love it, and boy did it deliver! It’s everything it promises and more! It’s an incredibly exciting, roughish adventure that you can’t just help getting caught up in. I was engrossed from the very beginning, and couldn’t stop reading it.

The characters were brilliant. Jill was a strong heroine (I mean pirate, oh yeah ;). On a vacation with her family, Jill finds herself caught in a time travel mess from a magical shard of a hundred’s old sword, and is thrust into a time where pirates run rampant. A ship with a woman captain, the Pirate Queen, finds Jill floundering in the ocean, saves her, and basically say it's either the ocean, or she signs on as one of the crew. So Jill agrees to become one of them. And she soon finds her place amongst these dogs, she starts to feel like one of them, and she learns that there’s so much more to piracy than she thought. Like the killing. But living with these pirates a long time from home doesn’t deter her. She presses on, hoping to find a way home, but even so, begins to like, if not love, life on the seas as a pirate. And then there’s Henry. The cute, young pirate who lives life carefree and thrills at the thought of fighting. And the description of Henry when Jill first saw him… *excuse me while I faint.* But the love aspect was barely there. This story is more about the adventure and pirate intrigue than any budding romance. But it was still there, if just a little, and it was done nicely.

Carrie Vaughn throws you right into this tale, with vivid details of pirate life and fighting. She weaves magic, pirates, and fencing into a completely engaging, thrill of a ride. I couldn’t have asked for more. It was everything I was looking and hoping for. I loved how Carrie integrated fencing into it, and the fencing terms as titles of the chapters. Steel had a very Pirates of the Caribbean feel. If you like those movies, or pirates in general, I highly recommend this book. I really loved it, it’s still got me worked up with excitement! I think I will have to read Carrie’s YA debut novel, Voices of Dragons soon, which I'm guessing has the same type of adventurous, pure excitement feel to it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steel.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Cindy I love the cover too! The reviews on this one are conflicting to not so good. I will be interested on what you think.:)

message 2: by Creative (new) - added it

Creative Mind I am dying to read this one!! You re so lucky that you already have it!

message 3: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Mar 25, 2011 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (daydreamer) @ Cindy- I'm really hoping I like it. I've been looking forward to it, and it sounds really cool, it seems like something I would like. *crosses fingers*

@Creative- Yes, I have it. I bought it, like I buy pretty much every thing I read, because I'm a compulsive book buyer and buy pretty much every book I really want to read (a very bad habit, I don't reccommend it). But I kind of have to buy the books I want to read because my library is so pathetically small and rarely has what I want.

Cindy Erica, I have the same book buying addiction, to late for the warning. Our library is pathetic as well. In fact I bring in lists to the librarian to try and help with the problem. It's so bad that they have bought the second books in series and not the first or even the rest of the series:( So I have turned into the library for my family, friends and teens from church. It's kind of fun as long as my books are taken care of. So yes, I feel your obsession with book buying and reading, and its all the better when they are beautiful (I am very visual, to a fault). My husband however is putting me on a book budget, we shall see how that works out:( :)
I love this cover I will cross my fingers too, and await your review!:)

Erica (daydreamer) I rather like having my own little library in my room. I'm really the only one who reads them, my sisters sometimes do, but I can just imagine having a whole room full of books. Oh yes, I would love that :) I'm sorry you're being put on a book budget, but it's all for the best, right? You'll just have to be more selective about what you really have to read.

Cindy I swapped work with a carpenter so I could have my bookcases built, and people know what a book nut I am so friends have given me bookcases as well:) My husband was pretty generous with the book budget, so here's hoping. Thank goodness for goodreads and all the reviews, and amazon :)

Sandy Oh, how I love to gaze at my bookshelves and see my books arranged all proper and neat. I have five bookshelves in my house, all full and mostly double-parked. My mom was a librarian, so I grew up in a house with shelves upon shelves of books. A book buying addiction is in my blood!

I read a ton of e-books from the library and Netgalley, but I can never give up the look and feel of a hardback in my hands or on the shelf.

It was a beautiful, blessed terrible day when Amazon gave college students a free Amazon Prime membership....

Strangely, though, I usually only buy a book once I've read it and love it, even though I don't know when I'll get around to reading it again. I'm surrounded by fantastic libraries that usually have everything I want, so I get everything from there first. I think I'm buying books with the idea of passing them on to my kids someday, like my mom did with me.

message 8: by Creative (new) - added it

Creative Mind Unfortunately these last years I haven't bought as many books as I wished for.. I cherish the days when I was little and my father would bring home about 6 books per month for me to read!! Now I have to save money in order to buy a book.. and sice I discovered Goodreads my wishlist grows every day...

My dream house is a house with a library room- all the walls filled with bookshelves and in the middle a big table where me and my familly will read.

Cindy Erica, I loved your review:) OH, OH! I am excited I was really hoping this book would be amazing, because I love the cover:) Iam off to ordering. Thanks!

message 10: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Mar 26, 2011 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (daydreamer) Ah, it seems we all have the Belle Library Syndrome. Fantastic dreams of having wall to wall in every room completely full of books, and so we buy more books than we can afford. Ah well, it is a glorious dream, is it not? I don't think it will ever fade for me.

@ Cindy- Thank you! I really hope you like it :) And you really shouldn't judge books so much by their covers ;) Often a book with a beautiful cover has a horrible story inside, and vice versa. (Not that I am one to say anything, I am one of the guiltier ones who reads books based off their covers *cough cough*) Anyway, the beautiful cover of Steel certainly lived up to the story inside!

Cindy Yes, the Belle Library Syndrome. Books everywhere, wall to wall a splendid thought!:)
Erica, I am know anxiously awaiting Steel to grace my mailbox so I can start reading it. I know, I know I should not judge a book by its cover, but I do! Yes, I too have been burned by the pretty outside and ugly inside of a book. Thank goodness not to many times:)

Siobhan do u know if theres a second book?

message 13: by Erica (daydreamer) (last edited Apr 11, 2011 04:03PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica (daydreamer) I don't know, but it doesn't need one. I liked it just as a stand alone novel :)

Maria Aguilar I love your review because it took the words right out of my mouth. It have everything to adventure, action, and a bit of romance but it was blend together prefectly to create this beautiful noval. Even though I'm not a big pirate fan but I enjoy every moment of it and couldn't put the book down until I finish it so I get what you mean.