Debbie's Reviews > The Truth Chronicles: The Time Machine

The Truth Chronicles by Tim Chaffey

Jun 28, 2010

bookshelves: scifi, ya, christian
Read in June, 2010

"The Time Machine" is a science-fiction adventure for boys and girls about age 8 to 14. This fast-paced, humorous adventure had an anime/manga flavor to it. There were black and white illustrations--about one per chapter, and the chapters were short.

The world-building was sketchy (it's vague as to when and where the present day events occur), but I don't think most kids will notice or care since Middle Grade fiction often spends less time on details. The characters were engaging, interesting, and acted in realistic ways. I cared about what happened to them. I also liked the ending. It wasn't necessarily what one might expect, and it turned out that way for a good reason.

There was a Christian element that was worked realistically into the story. Jax refused to go to church like his mom wanted him to because he didn't understand why a loving, all-powerful God would allow his father to die. Also, JT believed the machine really took them back 4,500 years while the others believed the machine glitched and sent them back to the previous entry, 70,000,000 BC, because there were dinosaurs. However, these issues were only briefly touched on. The story was a potential discussion-starter rather than slowing the pace to give detailed answers in the story itself.

There was no bad language or sex. Overall, I'd recommend this novel as well-written and exciting clean reading for kids.

I gave this book to a friend--a girl who's turning 13 years old next month. She read the entire novel in one night and told me the next morning, "It was SO AWESOME! I put it down and tried to go to sleep, but I just couldn't until I knew how everything turned out. So I finished it. And what a twist at the very end! When is the next book out?"

I received this book as a review copy from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Truth Chronicles.