Jason Koivu's Reviews > Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Flies by William Golding

May 03, 12

bookshelves: fiction
Read in August, 2011, read count: 2

I've got the conch now, so listen up!

In Lord of the Flies Golding deconstructed civilization, wiping it out and showing us our world in chaos. It's not pretty. Man without governance is apt to slide into savagery. At first the castaway children on this deserted isle set up rules and leadership, but law and order is overwhelmed when the majority discover there is no immediate consequence if they give in to their wants and desires. In the place of civility, a brutal world is born in which might is right, the weak are stamped out, and the female voice all but silenced (Piggy's frequent references to his auntie).

Golding pounded away at that theme, so much so as to rankle some readers who criticize the book's heavy-handed use of cardboard cut-out stereotypes to force the author's point across. I don't deny it, but in this instance I'm okay with it because I found the outcome, depressing and disheartening as it is, satisfying as a statement and, the whole, enjoyable as a fully contained tale. Surely the characters could've been invested with deeper background, which would have added greatly to the story in detail as well as pages. Both are unessential, for the intended purpose is served...Golding held the conch and Lord of the Flies is what he had to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Flies.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim I might have to re-read sometime. Ruined by my 9th grade English Lit teacher.

Jason Koivu Jim wrote: "I might have to re-read sometime. Ruined by my 9th grade English Lit teacher."

Yeah, I didn't like it very much back in school either. Teachers seem to like to read a little bit, pick it apart, read, pick, read, pick, etc, which kills the joy and makes it all very tedious.

Devlin Scott My English Lit teacher was wiser. We would read the assigned book and keep a working journal, recording our thoughts and any quotes we found noteworthy. At the designated date we would discuss the book from our notes. She even let us use our notebooks / journals for tests. I pitied those classmates unable to ace the exams. lol

Jason Koivu Devlin wrote: "My English Lit teacher was wiser. We would read the assigned book and keep a working journal, recording our thoughts and any quotes we found noteworthy. At the designated date we would discuss t..."

That sounds like a much better way to go about it. But as for allowing the use of notebooks during tests, I never understood why that was permitted. I mean, aren't tests meant to gauge what the students have learned? Mind you, I never complained when a teacher allowed it!

Devlin Scott Our teacher looked at this way, it was more important to learn from the story and let it live with you than to learn just enough to pass and forget it a week later.

Believe me, any student who failed her tests and quizzes was damned as the damned should be. lol

Whispers from the Pirate's Ghost ("As the Pirate Aarhgs") Just remember Simon's the Super Ego, ... I forget the names of the Id and the ego...

good review. Interesting book. Had to read it for school (and the above was a test question.)

message 7: by Rickey (new)

Rickey I read this book in High School over 40 years ago. One of the few books assigned to read in High School that I still remember. It affected me even then.

Jason Koivu Jina wrote: "Hello My Name is miss jina. i saw your profile today and i am contacting you so that we can be friends. and i have special reason of contacting you which i will make known to you. hope to read from..."

Thanks, Jina! I don't have enough mysterious, random strangers in my life, so I appreciate you contacting me. I'll be sure to get in touch with you and if you need any personal information, like my social security number or bank account passwords, etc, please don't hesitate to ask for them. Wow, today is really looking up for me!