Molly (Cafinated Reads)'s Reviews > The Mailbox

Jun 25, 2010

Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: FIRST
Recommended for: everyone
Read in June, 2010 — I own a copy

This debut by Marybeth Whalen in an ABSOLUTE must read. While I will admit that this story really wrenched my heart, it did it in a way that did not turn me away from reading this book. I could relate strongly to Lindsey, and somewhat, to Campbell as well. But it was all truly heart wrenching for me for many, many personal reasons. I read it in literally one day, because it was that wonderful and I wanted to keep turning the pages to see what was happening next. The style this author used to portray this wonderful story, reminded me alot of a Nicholas Sparks novel.

This particular story is set in Sunset Beach, North Carolina, which Imust say, is awesome because I am from North Carolina :-). There were things and places talked about through out this story that were extremely touching to me. The issues of divorce and the feelings felt after a divorce, I think, are what hit home to me the most, as I read about Campbell and his divorce and Lindsey newly divorced her self. I am a divorced single mother of two also so I found my self feeling Lindsey's pain and suffering. Her faith was truly tested, as was Campbell's, but God's grace and mercy come out loud and clear in the long run! I did find myself a time or two, wishing that I could pop Campbell upside the head and say "wake up, dear boy"!

This story of God giving everyone a second chance in life is truly amazing and powerful. This is a book that you will want on your bookshelf permenantly, and when someone asks to read it you will want to go and purchase them their OWN copy as it is one that you will not want to part with and will keep coming back to time and again for that special kindred spirit! You will learn the true power of forgiveness and heartache, but you will also understand the meaning of letting go and following God's will for your life, no matter the pain you feel.

I highly suggest that you give Marybeth's first novel a try. It deserves nothing less than a 5 star review and two thumbs up! But, when you read this soul-searching, heart gripping story of second chances, love and God's never ending mercy, make sure you have tissues handy! Or atleast, make sure you have plenty of free time to sit and read this...you will NOT want to put it down for anything til that very last page. I look forward to many more novels like this from a talented new author!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mailbox.