Teresa's Reviews > Korea: A Walk Through the Land of Miracles

Korea by Simon Winchester

Nov 16, 09

Read in November, 2007

So many layers of time and perspective exist within this book: what Korea was in the 1600's during Hendrick Hamel's quest, what it was in the late 1980's as Simon Winchester took his journey, and for me what the little part of Korea that I know is now in 2007-2008. Existence and life in Korea has the same affect as the book illustrates: a blending of the traditional, the modern, and the contemporary.

Winchester uses intriguing and creative prose; I most enjoyed the portraits of people and landscape that he illustrated. At times though I found his voice to be a little bit too "male" and sometimes overwhelmingly sarcarstic. When he revealed his sexual appetite, and added it into the story-line, I was a little bit turned off as there didn't seem to be a place for it in this genre; it seemed inappropriate though not grotesque or graphic.

This is a great book to read while living in Korea or if you know someone who has lived in Korea. If you're interested in the culture, I'd definately suggest it--you might even experience a little bit of wanderlust, which is always good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Korea.