Melissa's Reviews > Q & A

Q & A by Vikas Swarup

Oct 27, 11

Read in June, 2010

I was torn as to how to rate this book. I'm someone who likes to read the book before seeing the movie, but I saw "Slumdog Millionaire" back in 2008 and fell in love with it. I thought it was unique, unusual and magical. I finally decided to read the book last week, and it's very different from the movie. I was completely engaged the entire time and loved seeing what exhilarating yet heartbreaking adventures Ram would find himself in the middle of. However, I did find the book very predictable. You have to completely suspend any idea of reality in order to believe that Ram was actually able to answer every question on the quiz show, simply based on past experiences. It was all far too convenient. I also don't think the book did India itself any favors... from reading the book you would believe that the country is solely full of pedophiles, molesters, abusers and otherwise horrendous people. It was disturbing at times, but hopeful in the end, which is why I gave it the rating I did. The pages kept turning, despite the harsh conditions.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Q & A.