oliviasbooks's Reviews > Becoming Bindy Mackenzie

Becoming Bindy Mackenzie by Jaclyn Moriarty

Jan 15, 11

bookshelves: young-adult-fiction, ya-contemporary, multiple-povs-letters, read-2011, mystery-crime-sleuthing, stays-with-me, author-from-down-under, cry-a-little, favorites-of-2011, to-re-read
Recommended to oliviasbooks by: Teccc, Tina
Read from January 13 to 15, 2011, read count: 1

Oh, this book has exhausted me. During the second half I cried so much that I was getting concerned about dehydration. I think I have to drink two liters of water or juice now to compensate for all the tears I've shed. I am not sure why Bindy has moved me so much. She has this kind of different view of the world and she is so supersmart. She wants her worthless father and her busy mom to take the time to respond to her mails to help her decide and she is so very lonely. It felt like watching someone through his own opera glass and thus understanding basically what makes that someone tick, yet seeing what that someone cannot see: That she is living her life, apart from the rest of humanity, in a parallel universe. For example when Bindy, in her own focused strange way cooks up ways to help her school-mates to gain better grades and to get on with their lives (aka fighting their inner "teenage monsters"), but nobody is able to grasp what she is doing and why. So Bindy's attempts at being charitable and good disintegrate into smoke and make her appear even freakier in the eyes of the student body. And this inability to communicate, to connect with the world around her - even with her loving aunt and uncle and cute cousin Bella - is responsible for Bindy's mental abilities and physical health going slowly down the drain without anybody going farther than making check-up appointments for her, which are repeatedly ignored by her. All the pointless struggle, all the sadness and the crucial turning point when Bindy spontaneously opens up messed with my heart thoroughly and turned me into this sobbing, snot-dripping wreck. I know this is not really a review, but I am not functioning correctly again yet. When you glimpse at my rating you can see that I actually liked this book although usually I resent books that make me cry. And I liked it - and especially Bindy - although it was completely lacking Moriarty's trademark humor, the healthy dose of romance I normaly crave in each and every young adult book, and - with the exception from the end and a few letter responses from teachers, parents and officials - the use of multiple points of view, which you quickly start taking for granted after having read one or two of Jaclyn Moriarty's funnily gleaming literary gems.

Note on the series: I have not read the Ashbury books in the chronological order and I don't think you have to. I recommend to take the chance and read any of these books should you stumble upon one of the installments randomly.

I will go and order The Spell Book of Listen Taylor, because it feels like a crime not to read a book that the author has published.

Aussie Book Challenge 2011 Book #2.
TBR Pile Reduction Challenge 2011 Book #3.
5 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Becoming Bindy Mackenzie.

01/13/2011 page 1
01/14/2011 page 105
21.0% "I do like Bindy (I didn't really resent her in the other books, either) and I kind of hate her parents."
01/15/2011 page 300
60.0% "I feel so sorry for Bindy. I am really close to tears. And I am pretty certain that I know what makes her so sick."
01/15/2011 page 366
74.0% "Now I am sobbing in ernest."
01/15/2011 page 366
74.0% "I a mean: Now I am sobbing. My English is gone."
01/15/2011 page 388
78.0% "I think it has been ages since I have cried this much over a book. I cannot stop weeping." 2 comments
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Awww, what a wonderful review! I'm so glad that this worked out better for you despite the tears:)

oliviasbooks Thank you. I'll try Vera Dietz and the Enchantment Emporium and then I'll come back for you to challenge me again. Alright?

message 3: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Oh you want another one? Sure, that works for me:)

oliviasbooks The month is only halfway past, isn't it?

message 5: by ~Tina~ (new)

~Tina~ Yes, your right. Let me know whey your ready:)

Teccc Great review!
The Spell Book of Listen Taylor. Yes, I need to order that :)

oliviasbooks I pre-ordered the Macmillan paperpack just now. My pile is growing. *sigh*

message 8: by oliviasbooks (last edited Jan 15, 2011 07:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

oliviasbooks There are copies (HC) for 1,25 EUR plus shipping, but a lot of buyers say the listed sellers lie about the condition. And I always feel cheated and badly used when someone sends me a battered copy and labels its condition as "very good".

Teccc You are right, these books are almost always ex-library books in bad condition. Sometimes that's okay with me especially if do not want to keep them, but still: I try to stay away from shops with less than 97% positive ratings.

message 10: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Yay another Aussie book down!

oliviasbooks 97% is a good guess. I always read the comments. I don't mind those with longer delivery times, but those saying 'Very good condition? I didn't dare to touch the sticky surface.' do the shop in for me.

Nomes LOL. I did like Bindy ~ she was so very different. I love this entire series so much.

I have the spell book of listen taylor but haven;t read it yet. Mainly as it is the young adult adaption of I have a bed of Buttermilk Pancakes, which I have read and also re-read a little ~ so waiting for the story to fade a bit before i read Listen taylor. there are changes between the books though.

buttermilk pancakes was completely wild but very funky :)