J.J. Levesque's Reviews > Aristoi

Aristoi by Walter Jon Williams

Jun 23, 10

bookshelves: books-to-read-over-and-over, favorites, fantasy, scifi
I own a copy

One of my favorite books. It's been awhile, and I need to reread this again. I picked it up years ago when I was about fourteen and bored on a camping trip. It was discounted at one of the stores we went to, and having nothing else to read, I bought it. It was one of the best finds I've ever had.

The book is very unique because there are many times the page will suddenly split it two and the narrator will have a conversation with the personalities that reside in his mind while he is having a conversation with somoene in the real world. It was a little jarring at first, but once I got used to it, it flowed nicely.

This was also the first book I read with a homosexual relationship, and it opened a new world to me. For that I am thankful.

I have not read a book quite like this since reading it, and I doubt I ever will. It is a fantastic book that explores so many aspects of a possible future. New worlds created by individuals? A virtual world that you can create and control? Possibly not too far off. At least some of the things in this book could happen in the near future.

I own multiple copies of this book. When my paperback started to fall apart from age, I hunted down a hardcover, just in case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aristoi.