M. B.'s Reviews > The Synthesis

The Synthesis by Jason Letts

U 50x66
Jun 27, 10

Read from June 23 to 26, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Imagine a world where everyone was special. Each person was born with a unique gift... a special power. And now imagine being born powerless... bringing new meaning to the word unique and "special". This is the world that author Jason Letts brings us into. Here we follow fifteen year old Mira who was brought up in a a little bubble so to speak. Her parents raised her at home surrounded by a wall of mist... separating her from the outside world in an attempt to keep her safe because of her "uniqueness". Ultimately, Mira's parents agree that they cannot hide her from the world any longer. And that Mira, quickly growing into adulthood, has the right to know about the world around her and to make decisions on her own if she is truly to live. Thus begins our journey with Mira, experiencing with her this new world outside the mist.

As I began reading the book, I was rather disappointed. The writing didn't seem to flow well. Sentences were short and abrupt, and there were times where I questioned the author's use of descriptive words... it just didn't seem... right. The dialogue also bothered me. The way the characters spoke to each other didn't seem believable.

That being said, I continued to read, and the writing did improve. The story developed and I was truly sucked into the Mira's world. I loved the journey that Mira went through. She went from a sheltered young girl into a more mature young lady in the 6 months that she went through her senior year. What I truly enjoyed was her reaction to her peers. She didn't just start school and make friends right away... that would be totally unbelievable considering for the past 15 years the only people she knew were her parents. She went through many emotions... from being shy and wary of her new classmates, to anger and mistrust because of her insecurities, and as her self-confidence grew, to tentative trust and friendships.

The school which Mira attended kind of reminded me of The Hunger Games, without all the killing. Throughout the school year, the kids are pitted against each other in order to determine who will be class leader. So the dynamics between the kids was interesting. You have your cliques as in any other school, but with the twist of the super powers each of the students possessed. You see that dynamic change once Mira joins the class. The climax of the book where the kids are allowed to finally work together was wonderful, if a bit confusing as to who was doing what-nothing a good editor can't fix.

I would definitely love to read what happens to Mira and her friends despite the faulty writing (the final monologue at the end was a let down for me). Just hope that gets improved, because this really is an interesting story and an interesting world.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Synthesis.

06/26/2010
10.0% "Not impressed so far... writing isn't so great, dialogue doesn't sound believable, hoping it gets better..."