brook's Reviews > Skipping Towards Gomorrah

Skipping Towards Gomorrah by Dan Savage

May 07, 2007

Read in April, 2005

I highly recommend this book. Dan Savage is the syndicated gay columnist who writes some really funny advice columns. Here, he explores each of the "seven deadly sins" in one of there modern iterations. For example, for "Gluttony," he visits a Fat Admirer (FA) convention in Vegas. It's filled with big, big women, and the men that love them.
For "Lust", he interviews a very well-to-do "normal" couple in, I believe, Chicago. They are married, have kids, white-collar jobs, but are involved in the swinging community. This one was the most interesting for me, because he talked about aspects of human physiology that I had learned about in the past, how neither human males nor females being hard-wired for monogamy (not that this is some sort of excuse for multiple partners).
The book is really funny and entertaining, and takes you into subcultures (FA, Swinging, other stuff) that you dont hear much or anything about. Entertaining if nothing else.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Towards Gomorrah.