Linna's Reviews > Linger

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater

Jan 31, 14

bookshelves: for-review, cover-masterpieces, disappointing
Read from June 29 to 30, 2010

Like the title may imply, Linger never really takes off in plot direction. Instead, it seems more like a meandering interquel between Shiver and the yet-to-be-released finale, Forever. Nevertheless, Stiefvater's gorgeous writing remains lyrical and lovely as ever, making the most mundane activities beautiful with the most descriptive prose you’ll come across in YA romance. It’s only a matter of how patiently you can read about the mundane for the brief moments of action (and let's all forget about the leaky womb incident).

The added narrators were wonderful, adding POVs and more depth to the story. It gives us a breather from the ultra-sweetness of Sam and Grace, which is perfect enough as a whole book can’t change their feelings for each other… Nor can it further develop from where it started. Because they’re already head over heels for one another and the only things that lay in their path seem like obligatory obstacles. Parents—wait, no, being grounded? Surely the two could have worked their way through such barriers with a little less melodrama. It pales in comparison to their real problems, that being the foreshadowing of Grace’s fate.

All in all, Linger reads a lot like Shiver. It pulls you in with a swift beginning, but the middle is drawn-out and a little tiring to read. The writing is gorgeous as ever though, and the side characters (Isabel and Cole!) really stand out in how well-characterized they are. I just want more Isabel and Cole, Sam and Grace are kind of boring compared to them...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Linger.

06/29/2010 page 35
10.0% "I really like the new characters."
06/29/2010 page 99
27.0% "Awwwwww xD"
06/29/2010 page 149
40.0% "Eh, this whole parent-induced drama isn't very strong..."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Readings of a Busy Mom Riaz i cant wait to recieve my copy im super excited

Linna I know how you feel, haha. It's really living up to expectations so far. C:

Angela Excellent review and very well-written. I just finished reading LINGER about half an hour ago, and I echo a lot of your likes/dislikes about it. :)

Linna Your comment just made my day. (: Just read some of your reviews, and they're REALLY well-written, so I can't wait to read what you thought of LINGER.

Angela I hope to work up to writing my review sometime in the next day or two, so you can look for it then. I just need to let it percolate in my brain a little while longer. And thanks for the compliment on my reviews; I appreciate it. :)

Angela I couldn't make myself wait; my LINGER review is up now. :)