Carolyn's Reviews > The Islands of the Blessed

F 50x66
Jun 23, 2010

liked it
Read in June, 2010

This is the third (and, I think, final) installation in the Sea of Trolls series. Although I loved the setting, Britain in about 700-800, and focus on the interweaving of the old Druidic religion, Christianity and Norse/Viking religion and the characters which were well drawn, unique and interesting, the end of the book was unsatisfying. The book as a whole was well written and I would recommend it, after reading Sea of Trolls and Land of the Silver Apples. My criticism of this book is the same as the last book I read by Nancy Farmer, House of the Scorpion, and that is that the end is rushed, story lines are not tied up and the end feels like it has little relation to the bulk of the story.
I would recommend Sea of Trolls to anyone. It is one of the best YA novels I have read. The next books are fine for "checking in" on the likable and interesting characters, fascinating period of history and for humorous and thoughtful dialogue, but it loses points for the ending that feels like it was tied up because the author thought the fun part of the book was over.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Islands of the Blessed.