Linna's Reviews > 13 Little Blue Envelopes

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

Oct 16, 10

bookshelves: impossible-to-put-down, maniacal-laughter-inducing, sweet-romance, highly-recommended
Read from October 15 to 16, 2010

I’m head over heels in love with Maureen Johnson’s writing. It’s fluid and sophisticated but still down-to-earth and funny. And the way the humor comes across is subtle, but not any less hilarious.

At once a coming-of-age novel and a journey full of memorable adventures, 13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES has a formula that makes it somehow captivating enough that I had to keep reading no matter how much I tried to stop.

While several people found Ginny a ‘boring’ character and disliked the third-person narration, I thought she was such a welcome change from the protagonists I’ve been reading about in YA lately. If I was to backpack across Europe by myself, there’s no doubt it wouldn’t be a picture-perfect trip- I’d end up in a multitude of embarrassing and awkward situations, and that’s exactly what happens to Ginny. (This also contributes to the hilarity of the book). She doesn’t automatically befriend everyone she meets, and her trip is filled with mishaps- but they’re the type of mistakes that usually turn out for the better.

Charming, witty, original, and poignant- 13 LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES is also massively entertaining. It’s hard to find a book that mixes plot and humor in such a compellingly readable way, and there was just the right bit of romance that didn’t consume the whole book. While the news that there was a sequel in the works was surprising (the ending had just enough closure), it goes without saying that I can’t wait for it to come out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 13 Little Blue Envelopes.

Quotes Linna Liked

Maureen Johnson
“Nothing was quite like it was supposed to be. ”
Maureen Johnson, 13 Little Blue Envelopes

Maureen Johnson
“Go see old virgins! Now ask a strange boy out, you shy, Retarded thing!”
Maureen Johnson, 13 Little Blue Envelopes