Chaz's Reviews > A Death In Vienna

A Death In Vienna by Daniel Silva

Jul 03, 10

bookshelves: espionage-thriller
Read from June 23 to July 03, 2010

Although I didn't realize it when I began this series, this is the final book of Silva's "series within a series" treatment of the Holocaust. (The first two: The English Assassin and The Confessor). A Death in Vienna was one-star better than the first two, as Silva waited until the end to really hit his stride with respects to the atrocities that occurred in WWII. In the trilogy as a whole, Silva found a way to walk the tightwire to both educate and entertain, albeit in a sobering manner warranted by the subject. While the first two books treat what happened at the environs during the Holocaust, namely the complicity of Swiss Banks and the Vatican, this one tackled the horrific events at the various "ground zeros" of the concentration camps themselves, culminating in GA's mother's written testimonial of her experience. This was a master stroke by Silva to turn GA's mission into a gut-wrenching personal journey of revenge and justice. I found the CIA angle eye-opening and absolutely fascinating. This book made me want to delve deeper into some non-fiction accounts of the Mossad and the post-WWII relationship between the CIA and the deposed leaders of Nazi Germany.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Death In Vienna.