Andrew MacIntire's Reviews > The Taming of the Shrew

The Taming of the Shrew by William Shakespeare

Jun 24, 10

This was the first Shakespeare play I read, and thus it holds a special place in my heart like no other work of literature. It is not his best piece by any means - neither his greatest achievement nor his most uproarious comedy – but it succeeds admirably at its intentions. It features delightful characters and madcap hi-jinks that really should appeal to any audience, even those not familiar with Renaissance drama. Indeed, it would be my first recommendation for those who aren’t familiar with the Bard’s work; it is an easy introduction.

Much has been said of the supposed misogyny in Petruchio’s courting (and subsequent domination) of Katherina. I may be wearing rose-tinted spectacles of nostalgia, but I find it difficult to take a feminist stance against the play, given that it appears so clearly farcical to me. Kate seems far more of a hero in this tale than anyone else, and the conclusion of the play feels more like a discovery that she’s found someone to love her rather than resigned submission.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taming of the Shrew.