Monique's Reviews > Cleopatra's Daughter

Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran

Mar 31, 2011

bookshelves: gyptian-all-things-egypt
Read in June, 2010

Another book on Egyptian history by a truly amazing author, Moran makes you feel like you have been transported to imperial Rome through the eyes of a brave young girl, daughter of the infamous, powerful Kleopatra. The novel begins with the tragic and dramatic double suicide of one of my favorite love stories in history: Kleopatra and Marc Anthony...dramatically with rival Roman trimurvate Octavian vying for Egypt's power and wealth Kleopatra and Marc Anthony finally deplete their resources and somewhat honorably end their own lives. And this book involves the fate of their children Alexander Helios and Kleopatra Selene;this book would be a five star, an amazing read I got lost in however I found it a little juvenile. In the afterword they speak of how Selene marries and rules for years and while I appreciate the extensive backstory of how she meets her eventual husband, the mystery of the Red Eagle and the wonderful descriptive passages of Rome celebrating and royal life I just wished it was more adult, more mature in its observations..I do however love the book and recommend it to anyone that adored Kleopatra like I do, she was amazing..And any other books on Selene may make this an excellent back story for me..
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cleopatra's Daughter.

message 1: by Kei (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kei I couldn't agree more. I really hope Moran writes a sequel because I would have loved to read about her life as a Queen an her romance and marriage to Juba. All that time Juba loved her & that intrigued me so much.

message 2: by Kei (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kei Kleopatra Selene's reign as queen & "And" not "an" -- sorry, typing too fast & the mistakes were bothering me.