Steph's Reviews > Z for Zachariah

Dec 10, 14

bookshelves: year-read-2010, stand-alone, author-유, young-or-new-adult
Read from December 10 to 12, 2010

description

Z for Zachariah was a very good post-apocalyptic, dystopian novel. It's important to note that the novel was first written and released in 1975. Keeping that time frame in mind, the way that sixteen year old Ann deals with the loss of her family and the events that follow are nothing short of amazing.

Ann, having lost her mother, father and two brothers, finds a way to not only go on, but build a life for herself at her family home in a valley that was remarkably saved from some of the fallout. Her life, such as it is, progresses with the routines she's formed until the day a man in a radiation-safe suit wanders onto her property. What happens when she gathers up the nerve to approach him is both touching and terrifying.

This is an amazing young adult novel that shows the strengths and weaknesses, the humanity and the horrors of what life could be like following such a devastating event.

Although I only borrowed this book to fill several challenge slots, I am glad that I read it. It was a story that will stay with you long after you finish it and make you wonder .... what would you do if you found yourself in Ann's situation? Hopefully we will never have to find out.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Z for Zachariah.

12/11/2010
12/12/2010
100.0% "Review to follow"

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 8: by Josh (new)

Josh Big Daddy and Little Sister from Bioshock (videogame).

Steph Yep :)

message 6: by I (new)

I Read Josh wrote: "Big Daddy and Little Sister from Bioshock (videogame)."

Yeah

message 5: by Michaela (new)

Michaela That's from bioshock...

Jovah Siegel ETA means "Estimated Time of Arrival". I think you're using it like it means 'update' but it doesn't really make sense.

Steph Jovah Siegel wrote: "ETA means "Estimated Time of Arrival". I think you're using it like it means 'update' but it doesn't really make sense."

True. It can mean quite a few things actually. But, in this instance, I'm using it to note that my post was "edited to add" something.

Jovah Siegel Well! That's a new one to me. Touche.

Steph To be honest, when I first started using GR and saw ETA on posts I thought the same thing. But, now adding ETA is second nature whenever I edit a post. Lots of abbreviations around here.