Jeanette "Astute Crabbist"'s Reviews > Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman

Where Men Win Glory by Jon Krakauer

Jul 23, 10

bookshelves: nonfiction, politricks, america, four-star-nonfiction, cultural-and-social-commentary
Recommended to Jeanette by: Becca
Read in July, 2010

This book is a modern exploration of the ancient hero archetype, with Pat Tillman's life journey as a well-known example. The narrative also gave me a better understanding of the male need to prove oneself in battle. I still think it's foolish, for I would never intentionally place myself in harm's way. But at least I can now see the primal drive that makes men rush to recruiting offices when war is declared.
There's also a lot of important history here regarding America's friend-enemy relationship with Afghanistan, and how the CIA and U.S. military long ago created the cesspool we are now drowning in.

Krakauer is an outstanding researcher and reporter of facts. Woe to those with something to hide when he sets out to expose the truth. All is laid bare here, and it's tragic. The bungled operations, deliberate concealment, and outright lies surrounding Pat Tillman's death by friendly fire show the self-serving insensitivity and total lack of integrity of the Bush administration/military---from the top right on down to the lowest guys who wouldn't even tell Kevin Tillman that his brother was dead.

Minus one star only because there's quite a lot of Pat's early history that wasn't strictly necessary. I found myself scanning through large portions involving play-by-play of football games, etc.

2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Men Win Glory.

07/07/2010 page 20
6.0% ""...the right-wing harridan Ann Coulter..." No bias here, nosireebob! Love it!"
07/10/2010 page 253
74.0% "Feel that breeze, Chris? :p"
07/18/2010 "On page 363 of 500"

Becca How are you liking it so far? I always noticed with Krakauer's books I have a really hard time with the print. It always seems half the size of every other book. I didn't even bother with this one and got it on Kindle...it went much faster :)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Becca, I really like the way he is filling in all the information about Afghanistan and other history that needs to be CORRECTLY reported. Just read the part about Jessica Lynch today.
The play by play football stuff I'm just skimming, which is easy with large print. I'm not a football fan AT ALL.

Becca I did the same. I didn't understand the football references, nor did I care to. I skimmed it to :) I'm glad you are liking it. The history lesson ...more I did the same. I didn't understand the football references, nor did I care to. I skimmed it too :) I'm glad you are liking it. The history lesson was a lot to stomach, but interesting. It answered a lot of questions I had about how exactly the U.S. was involved in weapon distribution there. Shocking!

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" I guess by now we should be past the point of being shocked by much. :((

Becca "The history lesson ...more I did the same" ? oops, I think that was a copy paste error.

Becca Now THAT is a perfect review :)

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist" Oh, my goodness, you're too kind! Thank you, Becca. :)