Greta is Erikasbuddy's Reviews > Ballads of Suburbia

Ballads of Suburbia by Stephanie Kuehnert

Jun 23, 2010

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 09 to 11, 2010

This book brought back so many fabulous memories of the 90s.

Ballads of Suburbia is centered around a teenage girl named Kara. Her family is going to pot (didn't everyone start to get divorces back then?), her bestie is moving away, her brother is well... a little brother (for now), and she is just discovering music.

Kara then discovers Skoville through a new friend she met at school. At Scoville (a park that the teens have taken over) she meets a whole cast of characters. One of them is Adrain who carries a notebook around called "The Stories of Suburbia." In the notebook the kids write down the event in their life that made them who they are today. The life event that changed them. Adrain explains this to Kara and she relates them to a band's ballad. That song on the cd that makes you stop and listen. That one secret the lead singer is willing to tell.

Mingled in the book (which I thought this was mondo cool) are some of the characters' ballads. Each one is only a couple pages long but it gives you more of an insight of what that person is really like.

A very cool thing that I thought was done was the book was done in parts. But not like you think. Not Part 1 Part 2 Part 3. NOES! The author really wowwed me with this. It starts out with Verse, Chorus, Verse, Guitar Solo. Just like a real song.

Also, every ballad or PART of the book starts with a set of song lyrics.

I knew I would adore this book when I saw that the first page (which is actually the first part of the Epilogue) was introduced with a My So Called Life quote. It was love at first sight ;)

Now, I should probably warn you that this book has a ton of drug usage in it. But that's what's so awesome about it. That was the 90s. Well, that was my 90s. You get to watch someone who is innocent fall into the wrong crowd.... but maybe that crowd is just right for her... but how can drugs be right? Well, you'll see ;)

I must give the writer a big pat on the back. at the end of the book she includes all the Hotline Phone numbers to call if you know anyone like any of the characters in the book that need help. That truely brought a tear to my eye. (Oh shush-up lolz)

Also, there is a very interesting Q and A with the author in the very BACK BACK of the book that you should check out.

I really can't wait to read more from her.

And just because I loved this book so so so so much :) and I love YOUTUBE lolz... here's what my Ballad would be ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrxRf3... Twist Inside by Everclear

I will warn you guys... this book is extremely powerful... but if you lived through the 90s.... its soooo worth it ;)

LOVED IT!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballads of Suburbia.

07/09/2010 page 206
60.0% "OMG! Which one do I love more? This or I wanna be your Joey Ramone? I can't decide. THis author is amazing! I adore it too :)"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by AH (new)

AH Looks like this got a lot of good reviews.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I knows!! I'm looking for a punk rock (fictional) book and I'm not sure where to start. U got any sugguestions? I'm just in a rock-n-roll leather jacket drug abuse kinda mood. lolz :P I've seen Sid and Nancy one too many times and my friend won't let me read TrainSpotting because she says I'll wind up hurting myself. I just need to find soemething :)

message 3: by AH (new)

AH Don't know of any.

Greta is Erikasbuddy dangs ;) ME either. I would think there has to be something. I'll finds it ;) It's me new summer mission lol

message 5: by AH (new)

AH Great review. Now I really want to read it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ :) I really like this author ;) She's really ummmm real lolz. I also adore how she isn't trying to use $5 words like some YA authors are trying to do now-a-days ;) Plus, it made me drag out all my grunge cds lolz ;) LOVES IT!