Patrick McCoy's Reviews > Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party

Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene

Dec 21, 07

bookshelves: classics

I read another slim volume recently, Dr. Fischer of Geneva, or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene. I am huge Greene fan and really have enjoyed everything I‘ve read by him, but this slight novel is minor Greene. I guess he makes some rather cynical observations about the wealthy and some rather idealistic observations about true love-two concepts in opposition to one another. Dr. Geneva is a bit of a conundrum, but his lackeys, known as “the toads” are a collection of stereotypes. The love affair between Fischer’s daughter and Alfred Jones seems inexplicable and unlikely-but it is the key to the action, since their marriage is what drives Jones into the life of Dr. Fischer and his toads. From there he is able to observe the sycophant behavior and greed, as well as the party to end all of these parties. The ending had some unexpected events, but it wasn’t as satisfying as some of his classics like The Quiet American or The Heart of the Matter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Doctor Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party.