Kelly's Reviews > Lonesome Dove

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

Jun 05, 11

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, epic-sagas
Read in June, 2011

Wow! Masterful writing. Love this book - definitely in my top 20 books.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lonesome Dove.

Quotes Kelly Liked

Larry McMurtry
“It ain’t dying I’m talking about, it’s living. I doubt it matters where you die, but it matters where you live.” ~spoken by Augustus McCrae”
Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Larry McMurtry
“Occasionally the very youngness of the young moved him to charity--they had no sense of the swiftness of life, nor of its limits. The years would pass like weeks, and loves would pass too, or else grow sour.”
Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove

Carol YAY! You're reading it!! Love this book. Why didn't I give it 5 stars... can't remember. But it is definitely one of my favorites. I just wish for a book as good right now... I'm in a rut!

Kelly Oh good! I haven't started it yet, but getting ready to. It says it is part of a trilogy? Can I read this book first?

Kelly Seriously, go out and buy A Discovery of Witches right now! It will haul you right out of that rut ;) So mesmerizing....

Carol Kelly wrote: "Oh good! I haven't started it yet, but getting ready to. It says it is part of a trilogy? Can I read this book first?"

I haven't read the others--it is great all by itself.

message 5: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa streets of laredo is the sequel. I haven't read either, but now I want to.

message 6: by Melissa (new) - added it

Melissa never mind. I am confused. There are 4 books. one is a prequel. Why can't people write books and make movies in order!!! so confusing!

Carol Now, if you haven't watched the movie, DO IT!!! I love this book. Everyone thought I was crazy when I was reading it on vacation last summer and they still don't believe me when I tell them how good it is. Glad you loved it too!

Kelly This is one of those rare books that I feel a kind of mourning after I've finished it. I think about, worry about and miss the characters even though I'm done with the book. I'm going to start Streets of Laredo this week...I need a fix of Call, Lorena, Clara, Newt, Dish.......

I'm sure the cover looks boring to people, and the first 200 pages are slightly slow, but boy does it heat up after that!! Fabulous!!!

Dave and I watched all six hours of Lonesome Dove Saturday night - stayed up until 3 :) Loved it! And...the fact that Dave has ADD and watched all six hours without his computer in front of him is a testament to how great the movie/story is!

I wish I could go back a few weeks and start the book again for the first time....

message 9: by M (new)

M ooooh another one to add to my list for summer!

Kelly Oh yes! Do! It is about 900 pages and I had to read about 200 before I was hooked. SO GOOD!!!